I was interested in removing the thick finish on my Gitane D500 and came across this thread:
I was wondering if you guys could give me an overall idea of how I could get my D500 to have the same kind of finishes as the one in the thread I linked above?
I like the look and feel of these kinds of finishes and also read that using a thinner finish opens up the sound quite a bit!
I've been reading up on different types of finishes and such but I've never done anything like this so I want to see if its approachable or if I'm in way over my head haha
I'd appreciate any help in figuring out things like;
- How would I go about removing the original finish? Do I need to sand it down? (What kind of tools?)
- Different kinds of finishes?
(I believe the D500 from the link has Satin back/sides/neck finish? Is that nitrocellulose? And the top is a french polish finish?)
- The different "layers" (sealer & finish?) I would have to apply after removing the original finish
- What are your guy's thoughts on refinishing guitars, positive or negative?
- Have any of you guys refinished your guitars? And if so, how was the result?
Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!