DjangoBooks.com

Django in June update

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited April 2006 in Welcome Posts: 1,752
Hey all,

I've had a few requests for information about this year's festival...here's the latest from Andrew:

Hi Folks:

This is just a heads up for those of you who are wondering (or should
be wondering) what's up with Django in June this year. Thanks for
asking, whether you did or not. The weekend-long event will be held
June 16-18 this year, once again on the lovely campus of Smith College
here in Northampton MA. I have been finalizing arrangements with
artists and clinicians and trying to get a website together -
DjangoInJune.com - which should be up and running by the second week
of April.

It looks likely that Andreas Oberg and his able accompanist Michael
Horowitz (of Djangobooks fame) will be offering a concert on Friday
night [Jack here-this is GREAT news, guys]. On Saturday we'll be hosting Lollo Meier (in his first US
appearance) with violin wizard Tim Kliphuis.

Please join us for a weekend full of learning, listening and djamming.
On campus accomodations are available, (single and double dorm
rooms)so once you're here you can park your car and forget about it
for a couple of days.

If you'd like to be on the email list for the event - so I can let you
know when full details are available and we begin taking registrations
- just drop me a note off group: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

Cheers,

Andrew

Hope to see a lot of you there,
Jack.

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Much good news...first, the website is up and running. You can find the full schedule of shows & workshops, ticket info, lodging, directions, musical examples for brushing up, etc at:
    www.djangoinjune.com

Now, the last minute addition: Stephane Wrembel will be appearing in a new trio format on Friday night with Jared on bass and David on percussion. This should be a really special night-Stephane's show AND Andreas & Michael in a beautiful venue. Not to be missed!

And of course, on Saturday Lollo Meier and Tim Kliphuis will be bringing it! I suspect many of you know Tim from his performances at DFNW and DFNE, but this is Lollo's first US appearance-come see it how it's done first hand.

It wouldn't be a festival without workshops, so be sure to check them out-Lollo, Michael, Stephane, Andreas, and Dave Kelbie will all be hosting guitar workshops, and Tim and Will Patton will each be hosting four workshops for violin and mandolin, respectively. If you're unfamiliar with Will, he's recently recorded an album with Ninine Garcia and is a real talent in the style.

All in all it should be a hell of weekend in a great setting, and I'm looking forward to meeting or reconnecting with a lot of you. Come on out!

Best,
    Jack.
    Oh, did I mention you should bring an absolute boatload of money? Last year Michael brought what must have been the entire Djangobooks inventory...
    It just occurred to me that not everyone might be familiar with Dave Kelbie-he was the rhythm guitarist on one of the first contemporary albums I bought (Angelo's Impromptu) and hearing his playing was inspiring. Since then I kept running across his name on other albums I loved (Fapy's stuff), and I wondered how it was that this one guy ended up playing on so many great albums. While I'd love to have his rhythm workshop to myself, I thought I'd share some of his bio from the fest site to entice others:

Here's Dave's clinic description in his own words, (with a little assist from the local editorial board). By way of prelude, I just want to point out (for those of you who are just getting into the style) that the names he rattles of below are among the most well-known and respected in the genre. This is a great opportunity to learn from a native English speaker who has worked at a high professional level with the best in the business.

My workshops are a full-on rhythm workout, mostly concentrating on right hand techniques within the context of working in the rhythm section of a Hotclub style quartet or quintet. I’ll also touch on the differences between this strict style and the looser harmonic movements of duo or trio work.

A bit about me and where I'm coming from... I started playing guitar at the age of 20. Started touring with [Dutch GJ great] Fapy Lafertin at 23 and recorded the first CD with him in1989. Since then have toured and recorded with Angelo Debarre, Lollo Meier, John Etheridge, and a few gigs with Bireli Lagrene. After meeting Fapy I’ve never been interested in soloing, which has put me in the unusual position of being taught rhythm by these great players rather than dozens of fast licks. Fapy in particular, before we recorded the first CD, took me for a week or so of unbelievable rhythm tuition which I’ve leant on consistently since. Angelo also has taught me great things, particularly, as he plays at inhuman tempos, how not to get tired out after 32 bars!

So...a more detailed look at what we'll try to cover:
    1. Right hand techniques and plectrum

* Exercises for stroke consistency
    o rest strokes from a standing start
    o flicking out a match
    o Fapy’s wrist
    * Straight strokes and swinging strokes
    * Shuffle stroke
    * Pre-gig right hand swing ‘Warm up’ exercise in three stages

2. Left hand positions, substitutions, tone exercises

The thing that really interests me is his mention of not being interested in soloing...for the last few years I've thought I was the only one!

Best,
    Jack.