DjangoBooks.com

Pickup into Main Mixing Board

ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Welcome Posts: 871
Does anyone run their pickup directly into the main board w/o an amp (direct box of course) during concert situations? If so what pickup are you using?

Comments

• I've done so with a K&K Definity using Baggs Para into Heath and Allen board to QSC K10 speakers. I used it with Mackie SRM150 active monitors. Sound is good but I had to compete with fiddle, vocals and miked drums in mix. I have lately been using Fishman Loudbox Pro with a line out to PA with better results. With a five piece in loud venues soloing is thin anyway I cut it. I've used AT70 alone and with pickup and tried various ways to boost a solo. It may be as of a much technique issue, but I haven't successfully solved the sound problem. Rhythm playing sounds good with any of above setups.
    Most of our venues are loud cafes that have bands stuck in a corner, with little room to be in front of amps, drums, etc.
    Would love to hear from folks who have achieved a sound they like!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Craig, you guys sounded great last night! Thanks for the invite! CD is awesome too! Very nicely done and nice mix of material! Love the musical clown car that is the title cut, too much fun! Heehee....
    Scoredog
  • My McIntyre feather mystery mini mic setup goes straight into the board in an input with a preamp. Sounds great.
    Scoredog
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    If you're using a piezo pickup (like K&K) the output impedance is on the order of 1 to 10 Mohms. Most boards are setup to receive microphone or mag p'up inputs of considerably lower impedance. This is the biggest cause of the harsh, tinny "quack" associated with piezos. An active or passive DI will give the proper match, as do those boards with a high Z input feature.

I've used several decent preamps over the years and my current favorite is the Redeye. A good preamp or DI will never hurt your sound and depending on the board is essential to a good sound from a piezo.
    Scoredog
  • My Mackie board has pretty decent preamps. Not as nice as my old ART Gold tube preamp but decent.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Heath and Allen also has ok preamps. Fishman amp does also and sounds very good!