DjangoBooks.com

Who wrote Clouds? (Not Nuages)

chrisdchrisd Perth, Australia Dell'Arte DG-RN1
in Repertoire Posts: 9
I stumbled across an old version of Clouds on youtube a while ago and can't find it again or any information about it. Just wondering if anyone knows who wrote it or maybe performed it. It's one of my favourite Django tracks and I had just assumed it was his but it was great to hear an earlier version with vocals. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Think it's probably the Walter Donaldson composition you are thinking of.

Donaldson was an incredibly prolific songwriter and wrote some of the greatest hits of the twenties and thirties... complete list here:

http://www.songwritershalloffame.org/songs/C102

He's my favourite songwriter of the golden era. I haven't gone over Django's discography to check this, but I would hazard a guess that Django recorded at least a dozen Donaldson tunes.

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    any link to that youtube please chris? I love that tune but I also assumed it was a django one ..

p.s. you're from perth, do you know my mate lachlan gear ? super player
  • Django is the credited writer of "Nuages." The song "Clouds" is a completely different number by Gus Kahn and Walter Donaldson. Here's that song: Gus Kahn, lyr-Walter Donaldson, cm: Clouds (1935):
    Rosenberg Trio recorded that one on some album.
  • chrisdchrisd Perth, Australia Dell'Arte DG-RN1
    That's the one! Thanks very much! I'll definitely have a look at that song list cheers. @Wim Glenn hey yeah we all had a jam together that night. He's a legend and taught me to play!
    Ah, it's you! sweet. coming to samois this year?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 1,457
    Geeze, that version of clouds is really a lemon (idiot double quality?). But it's one of my favourite Django tunes, he really made lemonade out of it. He did the same with Symphonie, another turd of a tune that should have been left on the shelf - but Django gave it the midas touch!
    Also :)

• chrisdchrisd Perth, Australia Dell'Arte DG-RN1
    hahaha besides the lyrics i don't mind it actually but anyway its amazing to see what he was working with. Not coming to Samois but maybe some day. Great music thanks!
  • sadowsadow ✭✭ Altamira M30 Antique
    Cool tune. Anyone have a lead / chord sheet?