DjangoBooks.com

How is Joscho doing it ?

anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01

Dear friends,

I need help figuring out how Joscho stephan is picking a lick he's playing at approximately 4:20 in the video I posted. It's a lick we've all heard, I believe it was in Dennis Changs 1st dvd over an A minor shape arpeggio. I have never heard it played this fast and clean, and I cannot figure out how he is picking it. Is it straight alternate picking ? or is he sweeping backwards ?

Anyhoo, please check it out

Cheers !

Anthony

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    he's definitely not picking every note with rest strokes, and he s doing pull offs... since it's not close enough to see, i can't be hundred percent sure, but i would suspect he's doing it yngwie style, you can hear the difference in tone.

• anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    So is he pulling off from the pinky to the index finger on the first string ?
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    It sounds like he's playing a really snappy pull off from the pinky to the index.
  • swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing
    Even from this distance, the lack of RH movement suggests sweep. @Denis I've seen a video (one of yours, IIRC) where Stochelo does this riff pretty much all rest strokes, but it wasn't at tempo. From what you've seen, does he do the same up-tempo?
    The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...
    This is what he was showing in the workshop i was in when he was saying when using a common lick you should always to change it a little bit to make it your own. My recollection is, it's pull offs and sweeping.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Looks sweepy to me.
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    It's a standard Yngwie type sweep lick ....
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    swing68 wrote: »
    Even from this distance, the lack of RH movement suggests sweep. @Denis I've seen a video (one of yours, IIRC) where Stochelo does this riff pretty much all rest strokes, but it wasn't at tempo. From what you've seen, does he do the same up-tempo?

yes, stochelo's technique is frighteningly absurd!!!! pure perfection… he's probably not the fastest GJ player out there, but he is the most consistent with tone and plays some very very very difficult passages with such ease. A true beast!!!
    Buco
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Yes I was practicing it sweep style and it seems to be the only way to get that particular lick that fast and clean
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Bluegrass picker Bryan Sutton can get some major volume out of pull offs by using a snapping motion, which it sounds like he's doing here. The string just catches a bit of the callus of the finger tip which allows it to snap back with a lot of volume. The first part has gotta be a sweep.