DjangoBooks.com

La Pompe Upstroke Help?

asuraasura Los Angeles Cigano GJ-10, Gitane D500
edited March 2015 in Welcome Posts: 39
I was wondering what side of the pick you guys use for rhythm playing?
Pointy side? Rounded corner?

I'm using one the 3.5mm Wegen and finding the upstroke very rough from the pointy side.
When I try using the rounded corner side it is a lot smoother but either way I keep getting these 'squeaky', 'brushy'... noises when I upstroke on the strings!

I want to eventually be able to play the upstroke with both the pointed and rounded side.
Could anyone share their experience with me with how to minimize the 'squeakiness' from upstroking the strings?

And for those that use the pointed side of the pick, how do you get a smoother upstroke?
Is it as simple as relaxing the wrist and grip more?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    using the rounded edge only works with thin picks of a specific shape such as the dunlop gator 1.5 or 2.0mm, the 3.5 mm wegens are meant to be played only from the pointy side... well no one is going to stop u from using the rounded edge, but there's no avoiding the squeaky sound!!

• asuraasura Los Angeles Cigano GJ-10, Gitane D500
    That makes sense... I read that some people use the rounded side for rhythm so I was trying it out but didnt think it only applied to certain picks!

I tried some thinner picks but I still got the squeaky sound haha I have lots to work on!

Thanks for the reply @dennis ! I appreciate it!

The La Pompe you do in this video is the kind of sound I'm aiming for right now!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Fv5d-F0AWE4

• asuraasura Los Angeles Cigano GJ-10, Gitane D500
    edited March 2015 Posts: 39
    Also here is my pompe without the upstroke,

Could anyone give me feedback? I am really new to this and I'd love to find out what I could do to improve!

:-)
    I don't know if Denis meant you can't use the Wegen round tip for rhythm or solo (or both) but I've used it for rhythm and liked the sound a lot. For solo it doesn't work. But I gave up on using the round tip for rhythm because I couldn't switch back and forth fast enough.
    Best if you put up a video of what you're talking about when you say brushy or squeaky. Because to me that upstroke is supposed to sound like a brush, albeit it soft brush.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel