DjangoBooks.com

Jimmy's lick

emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
edited March 2006 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 472
Hi to all,
anyone have transcribed or studied this lick used by Jimmy Rosenberg?

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    ya he's just thinking G E7 Am ..... it works for any chord progression that goes from 2 bars of I chord to a II or V chord...

jimmy does it also on coquette.... it can also be done on the sheik of araby....

here are the arpeggio shapes
    17 14 

followed by

16 13 

then he finishes off with the classic am7 arpeggio
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Thats kind of like a major version of the minor-to-minor6 "super lick" that the Rosenbergs use all the time. It appears in Coquette on "the one and only".

Very tricky. I have no idea how they do it over such fast tempos. That 3-downstrokes-in-a-row part kicks my butt every time.
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    dennis wrote:
    ya he's just thinking G E7 Am ..... it works for any chord progression that goes from 2 bars of I chord to a II or V chord...

jimmy does it also on coquette.... it can also be done on the sheik of araby....

here are the arpeggio shapes
    17 14 

followed by

16 13 

then he finishes off with the classic am7 arpeggio
    Thanks Dennis
    Which Am7 arpeggio? You mean the same in the Mike's book? It seems to be it with some added notes.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    edited March 2006 Posts: 763
    V-dub wrote:
    Thats kind of like a major version of the minor-to-minor6 "super lick" that the Rosenbergs use all the time. It appears in Coquette on "the one and only".

Very tricky. I have no idea how they do it over such fast tempos. That 3-downstrokes-in-a-row part kicks my butt every time.

The trickiest part is to play the downstrokes with a "staccato" feel. Tchavolo is a master at that...
    V-dub wrote:

What you mean? The 3 consecutive swept strokes? From G string to high E string? If yes I don't think it's the biggest problem. Personally I've found more problems with the 2 consecutive downstrokes on B and G string (not swept).
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Oops, you're right, its actually 2 consecutive downstrokes moving upwards switching strings.

Any tips on this? Do the Dutch gypsies _really_ do two downstrokes in a row like that at super fast tempos? Or do they do the alternate picking "cheat" that seems to be pretty common at fast speeds?
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    No way you can get that "staccato" feeling I was talking about with a sweep or with alternate picking. This lick makes sense only if played correctly with downstrokes. You don't need to watch Jimmy or Stochelo actually playing it to believe: your ears will tell!
    V-dub wrote:
    Oops, you're right, its actually 2 consecutive downstrokes moving upwards switching strings.

Any tips on this? Do the Dutch gypsies _really_ do two downstrokes in a row like that at super fast tempos? Or do they do the alternate picking "cheat" that seems to be pretty common at fast speeds?
    Tips on this?
    Practice doing it the right "Dutch" way, to have that sound you must to play it that way, also at fast tempos.
    frater wrote:
    No way you can get that "staccato" feeling I was talking about with a sweep or with alternate picking. This lick makes sense only if played correctly with downstrokes. You don't need to watch Jimmy or Stochelo actually playing it to believe: your ears will tell!
    What you mean with this? If there is no way to have that staccato sound using both restroke or alternate picking, how these players play it? :shock: With fingerpicking NOT, for sure, and I don't know other possibilities... :roll:
    I agree with the rest
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    There are 3 ways to play the two notes we're talking about with a pick:
    "sweeping" (two upstrokes), using alternate picking (a downstroke and an upstroke) or "gypsy picking" (two downstrokes).
    As you correctly pointed out privately, the staccato effect is also strongly determined by the left hand not resting in the chord "position" but actually fingering each note at the moment of picking (as Jimmy does in the "Minor Swing" clip, here at Djangobooks).