DjangoBooks.com

Just About There!

ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 872
or so I thought.

First I want to thank all the people who have helped me on this site with tidbits of info...Michael H, Denis, Bones, Michael B, Jazzaferri, Buco, Charles, pickitjohn and anybody else I have had conversations with.

When I took up Gypsy Jazz about 18 months ago I figured I'd be happy achieving where I am today. Of course once you reach your goal a new one arises and so I can't stay content for long (my nature and not necessarily a good trait). The other issue is unless I keep practicing at my current rate I'll probably lose a lot of what I have figured out as I did not start when I was 5.

Anyway, my real goal was to put Gypsy Jazz into the mainstream contemporary Groove Jazz genre. I wish I could play you the full cut but I have a deal which does not allow that at the moment (I'm sure someone will bootleg it onto youtube as many of my songs have gone that way). I can link you over to the iTunes site, once there, click "view in iTunes" and there is at least 90 secs of the piece. To me it's not about sales, it's about expanding the genre. Maybe I have not done that here but i had not heard GJ assimilated into Groove Jazz in my many years as a Smooth Jazz artist.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/bounce-single/id961421299
MichaelHorowitzBuco

Comments

• Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited January 2015 Posts: 476
    I'm not savvy, do I have to pay? Couldn't find the 90 sec listen thing without a download of a program. scared.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Sounds great man! Does this mark the first ever use of the wah in GJ? It's a nice mixing of the GJ vocabulary with a modern jazz groove.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,707
    @Scoredog ...thanks for your kind words

Smooth Jazz is fun to play. If your ever up this way we can jam some.

Btw......Do you know Euge Groove? He plays a mean tenor in that genre.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    I have not met Euge (like his playing of course) though I believe up to 2 yrs ago we lived a few blocks from each other. We are handled by the same radio promotion guy.

Jeff...click the link below and underneath the album cover there is a link that says "view in iTunes". Click that link and then click on the song...it will play and there is no charge.

Thanks Charles!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/bounce-single/id961421299
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited January 2015 Posts: 1,252
    Apple disables listening unless you're using a mac or are willing to download iTunes because... well, because that's how they roll... lol.

However, if you have developer tools on your browser, you can wade through that with a click or two.

Assuming you have the right audio codecs installed (or are using a good open source media player like VLC or Mplayer) you should be able to click here:

http://a1328.phobos.apple.com/us/r30/Music/9a/db/7c/mzi.iejgjvja.aac.p.m4a

http://a1840.phobos.apple.com/us/r30/Music3/v4/b1/50/4e/b1504ed5-f453-fb04-ac48-2ad66a81e29f/mzaf_366339755692416678.plus.aac.p.m4a
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 872
    Hey Bob,

Thanks for the link, that was a song I did called a "Day in Paris" before I learned some proper GJ technique. It actually landed #5 in Billboard and got me thinking I should learn some of this stuff. Sometimes ignorance has advantages as I had no idea about the genre. That song, thought the production is good is not great GJ playing though the licks are comfortable sounding.
    I could post that song for production value but I doubt guitar wise it will wow many.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited January 2015 Posts: 3,319
    Hey Craig,

It's not 'just about there', it's already there (on Youtube I mean). :-)

Buco
    I clicked "funny" but I really meant it made me smile.
    Thanks for a mention Craig, you've come far though your starting point was nothing to sneer at.
    I think these smooth/groove jazz tunes will be the most thumbed up in Djangobooks history ;)
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    edited February 2015 Posts: 872
    Bones wrote: »
    Hey Craig,

It's not 'just about there', it's already there (on Youtube I mean). :-)

Yeah that did not take long, will see if Innervision records asks that it is taken down....That is the radio single version which has less guitar. If someone here bought it I'll happily send the longer version.

My Gypsy Funk Project makes BDS's (Billboards) most added list for this week. Hoping for a hit!