DjangoBooks.com

Wanted: Century Strings Draleon Royale Mandolin

tommcgtxtommcgtx Martinsburg WV
edited January 2015 in Classifieds Posts: 5
I've seen one or two sold here before, and I'm looking for one, or something similar. It doesn't have to be exactly like the Draleon, it could be similar to an archtop guitar with f-holes. The Draleon was what initially caught my eye.

Comments

• BarkonatorBarkonator Medina, OH✭✭ Mazaud - Vieux Paris
    I recently bought one of these mandolins for my wife, she loves it. I found it used on emando.com. They have a really nice tone, sounds a lot different than her F-Style mandolin from The Loar.

Are you set on trying to buy a used one? Because I was ready to contact century strings before I found one used online. I would be interested in hearing if they are still making these.
  • tommcgtxtommcgtx Martinsburg WV
    Ah, so you're the one that bought it from emando! Haha, I was looking at that one. I did contact Century Strings, and the first reply they told me that they retail for around $1400. I asked where I might find one, and they replied that they would see if they could find a "luthier near me", which kind of confused me. I haven't heard back from them since. Used or new, I'd just like to find one.
    Let me know what you find out if they get back to you!

My wife started playing Gypsy Jazz on her mandolin and I couldn't resist buying it for her as a birthday gift. It had pretty bad action when we received so we took it to a local luthier to have the neck adjusted, it plays much better now. Other than some finish checking and a small crack in the finish at the neck heal it is in good shape.

If I had to venture a guess as to why they said they would look for a luthier near you it is because it seems like Century Strings deals mostly in violins, violas, and cellos. I know that a lot of the companies that import their instruments from China assemble them in the US. I am not sure if that is the case for the mandolins as well.
    I got another response from them, and he just said that they don't deal direct, only through their dealers. He still wouldn't tell me if they are even available, and I'm starting to feel like he's purposefully being vague. Oh well, I'll just keep an eye out for a used one. I also found out that the guy who designed them left the company years ago.
    Dupont also makes a gypsy jazz style mandolin. It is a D-hole rather than an oval hole, but I imagine the build quality would be much better. I am not sure if you would be able to order one of these through Michael at djangobooks or direct from Dupont, but it might be worth looking in to.
    Well, I was able to get a hold of Gordon, who was the designer of these but no longer works for Century, and he said he just happened to be at NAMM in the booth next to them. Long story short, through a couple of he emails he said they had some available, and he would contact me with the details. I started to feel as if maybe I was bothering him, and decided to go in another direction. He was very nice, and never gave me that impression at all, I just felt like that. Anyway, after some research I've decided on a J Bovier F5Z, which is their zebrawood model. It should be in my hands in a few weeks!
    Very Cool! Post some pictures when you get it!
  • MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    edited February 2015 Posts: 100
    I have never seen or played one of these. Your best bet on tracking one down is over at Mandolin Cafe. I think you'll like the Bovier, they get real good reviews. IMHO an F4 (or A4, no scroll, both have an oval sound hole) has a better sound for GJ than the f holes on an F5. Oval gives more low end and more sustain than the f holes, which are great for a sharp attack and rapid decay so popular in bluegrass.
    I did have an ad up over at the café, and contacted a person or two who mentioned them in old threads. I wasn't really looking for one just for GJ, but wanted something a little different. I think I'll be pretty happy with the J Bovier.
  • TexasRedTexasRed South Texas, San Antonio✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    edited February 2015 Posts: 22
    Cool! I've wanted one of these mandolins too. If I ever see one I might grab it.

Jbovier is a real quality brand though and I bet this will be a great mandolin

If your ever in the San antonio it'd be cool to jam. I'm a mandolin player too and I'm just now getting into django style guitar. Not a whole lot of people playing this music in Texas but I've already met 2 on this forum so far!