DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo Bergara and Astor Piazolla

kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 421
Gonzalo's compositions are wild and fantastic journeys, intelligent, but also personable, satisfying both to the academic and everyday listener - I really think the comparison can be made - that he is doing for Gypsy Jazz what Astor did for Tango. I think it is a REALLY great trend for gypsy jazz to have original composers like him that bring the music to a new generation in a new way. Thoughts?
Buco

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator

Without innovation, things die. Gonzalo is one of a handful of guys who is able to push the boundaries hard and in unique ways without losing the core thread.

Innovation in GJ delights some folks and offends others, but without it, we'd be on a finite and diminishing path -- and if Gonzalo decided to leave the jazz world, it would leave a big crater in the scene. Thankfully, he is a jazz/blues man down to his bones. (though he is a great rock guitarist... if you've never heard him on a Strat... you're missing out)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    What Bob said! By pushing the boundaries the way he does, I think that Gonzalo keeps the spirit of GJ healthy. Was Django not pushing the 'boundaries' of jazz guitar (and jazz in general) in his time?
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    have you seen the patrus video where he talks about the bandoneon (and he plays it quite well, apparently it's extremely difficult instrument ..)

it's about 1 minute in after he puts down the guitar

pickitjohn
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing! I didn't know he played bandoneon. I had no idea that he was Argentinean when I heard him play at Midwest Gypsy Swing Fest and heard his original compositions for the first time. I thought right away - wow - it is like Astor Piazzolla for Gypsy Jazz!
  • Good ponts. He's a great player and innovator. I've spent many years playing bluegrass and primarily rockabilly, and am sick of the purist bit. Bill Monroe, Elvis, Django, et al were innovators who became known for going against the tide.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i remember when he had just picked up the bandoneon.. i think it was 2007 or 2008!

anyway, i don't think his stuff is Gypsy Jazz, and I mean that as a compliment, he has his own thing going on. Of course, he plays on Selmer style guitars, and with a similar instrumentation. But what he does is his, and his alone! It's a mix of all the styles that he likes, gypsy jazz, classical, argentinian, blues, justin bieber...

but then again, how does one define Gypsy Jazz ha..that's another big can of worms. For instance, a lot of the leading players today are non-Gypsies, and they have a totally different style than the vast majority of Gypsies. I don't think one is superior than the other, but I definitely hear a difference. At the heart of it all is Django Reinhardt!