DjangoBooks.com

Influence of gypsy jazz and video of Autumn Leaves

MikkoKarhulaMikkoKarhula Helsinki, Finland✭✭ Manouche Orchestre 14-fret D-hole #134
in Welcome Posts: 47
Hi!

I haven't been around here for years and also haven't played gypsy jazz style actively for a period. Distance to this style has revealed to me how important has gypsy jazz music been. I think that I wouldn't have had same kind of feel for sound and attitude in playing if I wouldn't have never started to play gypsy music. I'm sure many players here have same kind of experiences.:)

Here's my latest video.
watch?v=ihPck2zcWLA

P.S: If you like the video, stay tuned. I will upload a new one at some point. It will be 9 phrases and patterns for minor swing.:)
Kind,
Mikko
BucoVeedonFleece

Comments

• MikkoKarhulaMikkoKarhula Helsinki, Finland✭✭ Manouche Orchestre 14-fret D-hole #134
  • Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
    Mikko, that is stunning. Very beautiful. Despite all the fancy fretwork, I heard the melody pretty much throughout. I loved the harmonic surprises, the twists and turns of your lines. I hear influences from Gypsy Jazz, Flamenco, and Joe Pass - a wonderful mixture. Encore!
    MikkoKarhula
  • KarloKarlo Croatia✭✭ Cigano
    It's just one of the lovely surprises here, but that golpe made me sigh with pleasure! Currently listening to other tracks of yours with much enjoyment (Waltz for Ivo!).
    MikkoKarhula
  • MikkoKarhulaMikkoKarhula Helsinki, Finland✭✭ Manouche Orchestre 14-fret D-hole #134
    Thank you guys for your wonderful words!
    Karlo wrote: »
    It's just one of the lovely surprises here, but that golpe made me sigh with pleasure! Currently listening to other tracks of yours with much enjoyment (Waltz for Ivo!).

I noticed that you are from Croatia. I´m now practicing with my new band and we are playing music from Bulgaria, Macedonia, Serbia etc. and mixing those influences in gypsy jazz and other styles. I have really fell in love music from that area.:) There's something same in Finnish melancholy.
    Karlo
  • KarloKarlo Croatia✭✭ Cigano
    Karlo wrote: »

I noticed that you are from Croatia. I´m now practicing with my new band and we are playing music from Bulgaria, Macedonia, Serbia etc. and mixing those influences in gypsy jazz and other styles. I have really fell in love music from that area.:) There's something same in Finnish melancholy.

Hey, don't forget Bosnia. :) Anyhow, that sort of band is right up my alley, and the mixture I both enjoy playing and listening to. Nowadays it seems to be hard to avoid, to my enjoyment, with the likes of Tcha Limberger for one. I wish I could say that we have plenty of that over here, but we don't. There are certainly weddings and such, but it's a wholly different affair. To conclude: based on what I've heard today, I look forward to hearing more - props to you!

P.S. Send me a PM if you would perhaps enjoy exchanging thoughts about music (the sort you have mentioned, especially). I'd like to know what the repertoire looks like. Maybe I could pass on a few good bands/songs, too, old or new.
    MikkoKarhulaBuco
  • jwpfeiferjwpfeifer Phoenix, Arizona✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    This is absolutely amazing. It's one of the best arrangements of Autumn leaves on solo-guitar that I've ever heard.
    Rob MacKillopMikkoKarhula
    Thanks a lot jwpfeifer! I´m very grateful for your words.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Very nice, thanks for posting it.
    MikkoKarhula
    Holly cow! Mikko, you kick ass in a big way.
    There's a fluidity in your playing that I find incredible, the notes, phrases and pauses just pour in a continuous stream.
    With all that flamboyance in your playing there's still modesty in your words above, very cool.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Rob MacKillopMikkoKarhula
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel