DjangoBooks.com

DB Tailpiece - Who makes them?

constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
I have a DB Tailpiece laying around, not sure where I got it. The wood ornament did not come with it. Thanks - Dean

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 1,252
    Hi Dean. That model of tailpiece never comes with wood as an option. If you've seen it with a wood insert, the wood was added by the guitar maker. I used to use them. I liked them, but adding wood was a PITA for Selmer models. I have a bunch of them packed somewhere that I bought back in the day when it was really difficult to find this type of thing in the US. I got them from a guy named Bernd who owned a lutherie supply shop about half way between Rouen & Paris. I don't know if he made them - likely not. I'll probably start using them again if I start making DiMauro style again where you want a unique looking metal tailpiece. The quality is good: thick metal, thick plating, nice posts. It's just that adding wood is a PITA unless you're set up to work metal. Looks like it's been bent and unbent at the hinge once already. Be careful about that - tailpieces don't like to be bent.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    My guitar came with DB tailpiece and I never heard any mention about those until now aside from one guitar that was sold through gypsyguitars.com. Nice to hear something about them especially a favorable opinion coming from Bob H. Mine always seemed to be of a good quality and has a rosewood insert as well.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    thanks chaps !