DjangoBooks.com

Samois help

MaximusVolumusMaximusVolumus ✭✭ Holo
in Welcome Posts: 56
Hey all,
As a graduation gift this year, I've been offered a plane ticket to the Samois Festival this year. I'm really excited about going!

Here's the thing: I know absolutely nothing about Samois and am somewhat lost.

I've looked at the website and all that, but for my own (and my parents') comfort, can the folks here help me out in any way? What airports should I fly in and out of (and what dates)? Where are the best places to stay? Are there any groups traveling/staying together for the festival that wouldn't mind me joining in? Etc.

Thanks,
-Max

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Excellent -- lucky you! :)

I'm sure others will chime in with much more detailed information, but: you'll want to fly into Paris. It's a short train ride to Samois from Paris' city center.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    edited March 2014 Posts: 1,379
    Yeah, fly into Paris then go to the train station Gare du Lyon and take a train to Fontainebleau-Avon (about a 40 minute ride). Get your ticket at the "Ile de france" counter and don't forget to validate it through one of the machines before boarding or you could get a hefty fine! (happened to my ex-girlfriend)

When you get off the train you can take a bus to one of the two main camping sites. Don't get in too late in the evening or you might be forced to walk... a looong way (happened to me...twice!)

"Le Petit Barbeau" is the camping in Samois, very close to the festival site (a 20 minute walk).
    The other campsite is in Samoreau, a neighbor town of Samois, it has more of a party vibe but being smaller fills up really, really fast... It is about an hour's walk to the fest.
    It could be a good idea to rent a car and go to Samoreau to jam and party and back to Samois to sleep...
    There are some other places to stay, including a nice, small and pricey hotel in Samois but I haven't done that yet...

The actual festival takes place in a small island across the river from the house where Django lived at the end of his life. Get your tickets beforehand to avoid the long and slow moving lines.
    At the island you can try guitars from a lot of luthiers, jam until your fingers bleed, watch the big shows and get some food and beer.

If you want more detailed info you can ask me via PM.

Good luck, brush up on your french ( Even a little makes a big difference) and don't forget to bring your guitar!!