DjangoBooks.com

Please Solve Leather-Under-Tailpiece Issue

OK, I realize there have been posts about this, but none have really clearly addressed specifics to my dim understanding! I play a Gitane 250M and have no GJ luthiers in my area. I'm trying to do the easiest and cheapest things I can to improve the guitar. I'm working up to bridge!
I'd love to see actual pictures (with scale) of the size and width of the leather, where it actually goes, how it looks before and after, that sort of thing. If I have to do this myself, I want to do it correctly.
If no pics maybe some folks could just humor me with some specifics?
I would REALLY appreciate it!
Thanks.

Comments

• I had a leather shoelace that I used on a particularly annoying guitar years back. Weave the leather loosely over and under the strings about midway behind the bridge to start. Only use 1 weave to start. Play test and try adjusting tensions. If not enough damping weave it back again once more and redo the process.

It can be overdone as well...so take your time with it and experiment....in the process you will also gain some insights into the behaviour of your guitar.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Perhaps you have already seen this post: http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/1622/installing-tailpiece-leather-question
    And this one which has a couple of other links: http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/5972/fret-leveling-bridge-leather-tailpiece-question
    Let us know how it turns out, please.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I dislike the usual green and red leather on guitars so I swap it for Chamois leather. I mark out the exact outline of the whole tailpiece, cut it to shape with a scalpel so there's no overhang and then lightly glue the edges to the tailpiece and then reinstall. Because of the materials - leather and metal - you can always easily change or remove the leather and gluing it to the tailpiece means it sits free of the top and stays in place. What can be tricky is trimming/cutting the Chamois as it is slightly stretchy. Also screwing through the Chamois can be tricky as it's softness can sometimes cause it to twist with the screw so I'd recommend piercing small hole so the screws pass through easily and cleanly.

I don't think there is a "correct" way as I've seen different ways of installing felt/leather on different guitars. I suppose a question is what are you hoping to achieve by installing the leather ?

Alan
    always learning
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @rgrice

Here is what I did, worked for me, all who heard the guitar with and with out the leather thought the leather reduced the overtones and ringing. :-c

c9bfd68e0766968167293ffbdd5667.jpg

You can cut and trim to your liking or not even use it. Your Choice

Leather was from scrap bin @ Tandy Leather, I cut about a 1/4" strip and placed it under the tailpiece till it felt snug.

May work for you, don't know.

I like to tweak on my Guitars

picture was upright on my Computer :question:

Hope it doesn't fall off the stand now X_X

pick on

pickitjohn
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @rgrice

Here is a Closer look at just the leather strip

I put a Bluechip TAD 80mm pick in the picture because it is about the thickness of the main leather piece. Strip is just a 3/8" cut about 4" long.

BTW I love the Bluechip, best of all my picks and I've got a S***load.
    @Jazzaferri
    I'm with Jay on the bluechip pick thing. "You just gotta keep track of it" I've had the audience help look for my lost pick, only to find it in my mandolin on the stand. Kinda like knowing I had a cup of Coffee only to find it that evening #IN THE MICROWAVE"

e6fb53df0d40c438d911d513572b8d.jpg

pick on

pickitjohn
  • Wow! Thanks for the responses y'all I guess there is no "right" way but I have some idea of ways to eliminate those nasty wet overtones!

Jazzaferi, Think I'll first try the shoelace trick which I've heard about. Easy fix if it works!

Jonpowl, I did see those, thanks. The color question was priceless!

Crookedpinky, I do like the idea of just gluing the chamois on. My Gitane is overly bright and wet and has overtones and a little too much sustain. Additionally, the tailpiece rattles, which is correctable by redoing the insert I guess or getting a new tailpiece! You're talking regular cloth-like chamois that would be used for buffing or whatever?

Pickitjohn, us Southern boys'll just git er done, ain't it! I may try this as it would also shim the tailpiece and stop that annoying rattle! You just wedged it in there, huh? I appreciate the pics too...hope the guitar didn't tip over! I'll have to try those picks, though I love the Wegen 3mm.

On another note I put on the K and K Definity and really like it playing in small clubs through a Baggs directly into piggybacked QSC K10 powered speakers, which run vocals, fiddle, and snare drum and cymbals. Upright bass uses amp. Sound is natural but the overtones and sustain make it sound almost electric, especially leads in upper register. I'm hoping the leather will help that too.

Again, thanks!
  • @jazzaferri tried the shoelace thing but couldn't seem to get enough damping for my taste. Even wove through several times. I think I made need to get more drastic. Thanks!
  • Woah...thats some overtone issue you are trying to resolve. Are you sure its in the tailpiece and not inside the box?

Have you tried having someone put their hand on the tailpiece string area while you are playing.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • @jazzaferri It did damp it some but not as dramatically as I hoped for. I'll probably still use it but may also try the leather/chamois tricks as well. Problem is the cheap Gitane talpiece as well as the Gitane itself, which just rings too much, tho its a fine guitar in many ways considering price I got it for. Thanks!