DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

bm7b5 EBouldin BSevern dominicleewe nacfr

For Sale: 1993 Dupont made for Moreno Winterstein

Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
edited November 2013 in Classifieds Posts: 615
For those who might be interested, I'm selling my 1993 Dupont that was handmade by Maurice for Moreno Winterstein to Jacques Favino Enrico Macias specs. It comes with a letter of provenance from Maurice as well as photos of the great Tchan Tchou Vidal playing it with Moreno at a gig in Paris. It's got a spruce top and gorgeous flamed maple back, sides and neck. Ebony fingerboard and an ebony bridge made by Moreno himself. It was used on his album "Moreno Bolero" and he discusses it in the liners notes. Priced to sell at $5K! This is a great price for this guitar. Message me if you're interested!!

Comments

• chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    Love this guitar, Teddy,
    Conratulations on getting married!

all the best,

Charlie
    charlie
  • Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    Bumped. There's been a lot of interest but no ones taken a plunge yet. Not to oversell, but Maurice Dupont isn't making guitars anymore (he's too busy running the company), he's not making any more for Moreno, and Tchan-Tchou is dead so this guitar something really special and once it's gone, it's gone!
  • Wim GlennWim Glenn oƃɐɔᴉɥƆModerator 503
    I guess Dupont's are kind of out of fashion. The guitar on moreno bolero album (is it the whole album?) sounds great
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    wim wrote:
    I guess Dupont's are kind of out of fashion.

Judging from what sells at DjangoBooks, that is certainly not the case as Dupont is the best selling brand in the $2K and above range. That goes for both new and used instruments.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    its sucks I can't afford this right now (damn wedding to save for! :lol: ) but I find it crazy that this hasn't been snapped up fast. It seems like somethings get bought before they can be advertised on line for an hour and this guitar with its provenance, not only from the builder and original musician, but coming from someone as knowledgeable as Ted is about this music and these guitars, that this guitar is still waiting to be sold. I am not trying to knock new guitars or their builders ( i really really want a Holo one day) but this guitar is gorgeous. I wonder what the hold up is! Just thinking out loud bored at work! lol
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
    Michael I was wondering that but like you said Duponts sell well. IF I was in the market for a Dupont I would buy this long before a new VRB or an MD-100.
    yeah I hear you stuart maybe I live in a bubble but 5k for this guitar seems like a steal. I worked for a time in a vintage guitar store so I saw everyday people drop loads of cash much larger than 5k on les pauls and telecasters and the like all the time. Usually it was the result of saving and forgoing smaller luxuries but not out the realm of modest possibility. Like I said I can't afford to just snap it up but I could see saving 5k for a guitar. (the way its going I might be able to save for this one :lol: ) If you get a guitar built by some one like AJ or Bob holo you'll easily pay that much. For something vintage well the sky is the budget a lot of the time. I get what you are saying a lot of people aren't willing to spend 5k on a guitar, life has a way of getting in the way of new and shiny things, but if playing music is more than a hobby (maybe not a vocation but something more than a passing dalliance) you really want to have the best instrument you can. Can't we all be thankful we aren't cellists? So yeah sorry to hijack ted's thread I hope someone buys it soon and I'll keep drooling over it.
  • Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    hi Stuart,
    stuart wrote:
    I find it crazy that this hasn't been snapped up fast.

I'm the opposite - I'm always amazed at the prices people will pay for these guitars! I've got a well-paid job but couldn't afford to snap something up like this. Does Gypsy Jazz really pay that well?

Gypsy Jazz alone certainly doesn't, but I make my living playing all types of pre-war jazz music: hot jazz (pre-1930's), New Orleans, dixieland, gypsy jazz, western swing, mainstream and big band swing as well as other music related work including TV and teaching. This guitar was original bought as a gift for me in 2004. I sold it, and bought it back after a summer touring with Robin Nolan.

Talk to any professional (that's someone making their living and paying their bills via music) and they want/need a high quality professional grade instrument. Even all the good musicians that I know who have day jobs still want a high quality instrument. One that has a good sound, plays in tune, is sturdy, dependable, well made, easy to play and can last the rigors of life on the road (I've traveled with my Favino through 7 countries and 27 states), I can't tell you how much it means to arrive in someplace like Lac Carling, Quebec; a small town 2 hours north west of Montreal and be able to count on my guitar to function appropriately and being able to withstand changes in weather, humidity, flying, driving, etc.

Best,

Ted
  • Wim GlennWim Glenn oƃɐɔᴉɥƆModerator 503
    wim wrote:
    I guess Dupont's are kind of out of fashion.

Judging from what sells at DjangoBooks, that is certainly not the case as Dupont is the best selling brand in the $2K and above range. That goes for both new and used instruments.

OK, I'm surprised, it must be different in USA and other parts of the world. I can't think of a single player in oz, and I was just 3 months in Paris and a lot of the guys seemed to be dishing dirt about Duponts. Those guys seem to covet bob holo and olivier marin guitars really badly
  • I'm not surprised that they are good sellers. Duponts are pretty well made guitars. And yes, I have played quite a few guitars from other luthiers. I've played an early 90's handmade Dupont at DiJ that was simply the best guitar I've ever played and this was after taking test spins on some pretty fancy guitars. I'd guess that this one is likely a killer, based on pedigree alone.
    What is the guitar of choice in Oz?