DjangoBooks.com

Gallato RS 1939 ANGELO DEBARRE or Altamira M30

Hi,
I'm new here. I write because I need a help to chose a cheap guitar to bring with me during the travels...
I saw 2 guitars that maybe I will like: a second hand Gallato RS 1939 ANGELO DEBARRE (2012) for 860€ and a new Altamira M30.
I think the Gallato is a beautiful guitar and the sound is typical french but I think also it have few bass (maybe to bright?) and the neck is maybe too big.
The Altamira is a nice guitar (C shape neck, maybe more balanced sound but not so french?) and I have to buy new one so it is more expensive.
So, please!!!!, anyone can give me some advise about this guitars?
Thanks so much

Comments

• anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    I own an alta mira m01, which I like very much, but it has a U shaped neck, although not a very thick one. I don't know much about the M30, but alta miras in general are quite good guitars,

In general, the neck thickness becomes easier to manage after awhile, although the older guitar often have really thick necks so I don't know what the 1939 one is like.

In general, I can say for sure that the alta miras are great for the price, though I cannot say how they compare to the other guitar you're looking at.

cheers

Anthony
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Is the Gallato an oval hole or D? I have both and like them each for different reasons.

The big neck takes some getting used to but I did it.
  • AnoumanAnouman New
    Thanks for the answer Anthon and Bones,
    the Gallato is an oval hole built in 2012 year.
    Bones, how is the sound of the Gallato oval hole? Is it bright with few bass or? Did you take some changes?
    I use often the stimer pick up and I hope this guitar will accept good it.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I'm no expert but here's my opinion of my 2 Gallatos.

Both are very loud.

The Gallato oval hole compared to the D hole is pretty much what you would expect.

The oval hole seems to cut a bit more especially in the highs so is somewhat 'better' for soloing.

For rhythm, the oval hole is fine but does not have as fat/warm a tone in the lows/mids as the D hole.

The D hole is warmer for rhythm with the fuller tone in the lows/mids but still really loud and cutting in the highs but just not quite as powerful in the highs for leads as the oval hole.

I'm talking very subtle differences though. Both guitars are great for rhythm and solo.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Note that there will be variations even for the same model from the same manufacturer.

The only Gallato that I had ever played before was Gonzalo's much older oval hole and it had pretty much the same tone as the oval hole that I ordered new from Europe so I was pretty confident later on ordering the D hole sight unseen and I was very pleased.

It seems to me based on my very limited sample set that they have a pretty consistent tone quality but there may be exceptions so best to play it ahead of time (but that is not always possible if you are having it shipped).

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
  • AnoumanAnouman New
    Thanks Bones,
    yes, is not simple to order a guitar without playing it. But ok I will try this sound.
    This is the guitar from www.gallato.com
    http://www.gallato.com/en/occasions/36- ... relle.html
    I hope everything goes well.
    I spoke with Serge Gallato and he will setting and check the guitar.
  • SteveGSteveG ✭✭
    :D

I have one that I bought used from forum member klaatu in 2010. I'm enjoying it, but haven't played enough different gypsy jazz guitars to make recommendations. I think you'll find that you can adjust to the neck profile and scale length, even if they are quite different from what you're used to. Mine is getting played-in well, with more volume, resonance, dynamic range, and less dampening. The finish is pretty thick, but as tough as nails. I hope you'll be pleased with your decision.