DjangoBooks.com

Nolan Play Along vols. 2, 5 & 6

kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
edited April 2013 in Repertoire Posts: 178
I have volume one of Robin Nolan's Play along book and just ordered vol 3 from here. I really like these resources and soon I will buy vol 4.

I will admit here that I did find vol 2,5 and 6 in pdf format. As Micheal could attest, I spend a load of $$ on books here and do not advocate piracy of any sort. Ok, that being said, I communicated with Micheal about the possibility of getting these 2,5 and 6 and they are out of print. Am I out of line asking for the audio of those books? I expect to be flamed but I would really like to complete the set. Let me know if I'm being an a-h@le or give me advice as to how I can acquire these.

Robin, if you're out there... can you help me out?

Comments

• hanear21hanear21
    I don't think you're out of line for asking, at least you're asking :) The most 'legit' way to do it would probably be to try contacting Robin or the publisher directly.
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    hanear21 wrote:
    I don't think you're out of line for asking, at least you're asking :) The most 'legit' way to do it would probably be to try contacting Robin or the publisher directly.

I sent Robin an email a couple of months ago however I have not received a reply. You can't fault a working musician...

I think the next step would be to contact the publisher. I'm ignorant of how the business works so perhaps this is out of Robin's control.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    A bit off topic, but does anyone know if the the "Gig Book" contains all the songs that are in the play alongs?

The Gig Book was written by Robin Nolan, but not sure if it has everything the play alongs have.

Do you guys find the play alongs to be plenty accurate?
  • The playalongs are good. A few that are standards have chords are different from the RealBook (e.g. Honeysuckle Rose) the heads are pretty accurate. The Gig,Book has many songs in common but ot all.

I use Robin and Angelo's playalongs at times and Band in a Box more often as The speed is completely controllable, I can change the instruments and backing feel with a touch of the button and looping is easy.

Michael has BIAB files with the heads for all the django standards for about 25 bucks or so. The notation can be printed off, no tab though.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    stuart wrote:
    Vol 2 is still for sale on Robin's website:http://www.robinnolanteaches.com/.

Check that page again, it's not there.
    I've never seen 5 and 6 so I guess Robin only did a limited print run. I think they are self-published, hence the high prices. Some of the tracks have been popping up in his Gypsy Jazz Secrets magazine.

I looked into that a couple of months ago. That's a great resource but it only runs on iPad. Someday I'll get one.
    I do think it is wrong to solicit for pirate copies of the audios, particularly on a forum like this. However, if you just want someone to sell them to you secondhand there's nothing wrong with that as they are not downloads - I suggest starting a Wanted thread in Classifieds.

You are right, I would actually have trouble with using them without cutting Robin a cheque for what they are worth. I have musician friends scraping to make ends meet by allowing scientists to test them so I know how every single dollar counts so please don't hate :D

I can see adds in the Classifieds for them not getting any action. You can see out-of-print music books on Amazon going for like $200 or something stupid (like a Robben Ford book I was looking at). That's what I was expecting for these books.

My goal was more to show support for these resources.

As a beginner I found his Volume 1 to be pure gold. It's really getting me into the groove. I will get Robins licks soon too. The man can play and is fine teacher.