DjangoBooks.com

Tcha Limberger instructional videos

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited July 2013 in Welcome Posts: 2,161
Hi folks, sorry for spamming, but since others have done these kinds of campaigns successfully , I may as well try, thanks for checking it out, and i promised to do an awesome job at producing it.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/347688/x/2539946

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    dennis wrote:
    Hi folks, sorry for spamming, but since others have done these kinds of campaigns successfully , I may as well try, thanks for checking it out, and i promised to do an awesome job at producing it.

Fantastic, Denis! Will he be teaching guitar, violin, or both?

Edit: regardless, I'm in! Good luck with the campaign, man!

Edit 2: BTW, I personally don't consider it spamming. I find these things to be an incredible opportunity, a valuable thing I'm myself happy to be a part of...and I think it's a benefit to the entire community. Now, if you or Christiaan wanted to sell futures on cryogenic body storage, well....
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Great! Looking fwd to see the expansion of the DC school.
    - JG
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    I'm in! The happy birthday at the end sold me on the whole thing :D:D:D
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Spam? Not at all.

This is great info!

Thanks Dennis
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Bones wrote:
    Spam? Not at all.

This is great info!

Thanks Dennis

Absolutely agree. Yee-haw, Denis!
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    This is great news Denis. I just signed up. Thanks for making this happen! AE
  • mikegnikmikegnik Southern NJ, Philly✭✭ Bumgarner #47, 50’s Castelluccia round hole
    I'm in!

I am very curious to know what the areas of focus will be, given Tcha's evidently exhaustive knowledge of this music, beyond the swing tunes to include folk music as well. Harmony? Improvisation? Hungarian? :wink:

Great idea to take these valuable "human resources" and capture some of their knowledge and expertise for the benefit of the rest of us.

Looking forward to it, Denis!

Mike
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Dennis wrote

Looks great not a problem.

On the DC School website it says in the Q & A section:
    Q: What are the system requirements to view these video lessons? Will it work on my smartphone/tablet?
    A: At the moment (as of 10/08/11), the site has been tested extensively on Mac and PC systems from within the past 4 years (exact minimum requirements will be posted shortly). A fast and stable internet connection is highly recommended. The videos will not work on Ipod/Ipad type products at the moment, though it is something we wish to implement as soon as possible.

Any possibility of getting the Video Portion to download. My internet connection does not stream at all.
    I would Love to be able to view this without being ONLINE.

I've been working with Yaakov Hoter Gypsy Jazz School and went there because of this problem.
    I was able to download at a friends house and with "VLC Player" was able to view it ANYWHERE ANYTIME.

I would love to support this and get some other lessons from your site.

By the way, I did purchase your DVD "The Art of Accompaniment" and give my appreciation and recommendation to your work.

THANKS pickitjohn
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    maybe it's my browser but i thought i had just written an extensive reply.... and it's not showing up! argh, i'll try again later
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    alright, i hope this post doesn't disappear like it did before!!

I wanted to thank everyone so far, it means a lot that you believe in me hehe!

To answer your questions: re: streaming; there are ways to download the videos onto your hard drive (for private purposes of course! look it up on google)

As far as Tcha's videos will go; the original intent (we've been exchanging emails back and forth since september) was to produce a series of lessons on eastern european folk styles; especially the hungarian folk styles. As far as I know, there is no such thing that exists (at least authentic ones) in video or book format outside of the hungarian speaking world. Tcha has a very special advantage in that he is a very educated person and knows how to communicate his ideas, and he speaks fluent hungarian and fluent english (and 5 or 6 other languages).. Usually the people who play this style authentically only speak Hungarian and very broken English.

But we realized that to do a good job, we 'd need more preparation and get together a few times to discuss how to best approach this enormous task... My biggest priority in producing these lessons is not to make money (although it would be really really great) but to make high quality and authentic lessons.

So this project will be our ultimate goal but at the moment we're putting it on hold. Instead , this summer we will focus more on his personal style . We will obviously cover some of the material above, but it will be more of a general thing (that is not to say there won't be any useful stuff!).

As with all my "in the style series", i will have perform on a number of standards , and we'll also see what kind of interesting repertorie we can record as well (perhaps waltzes or traditional gypsy songs).

He will play violin and guitar..

As far as the guitar is concerned, he is from the same family as Waso Grunholz (the guy who influenced all the dutch guys like stochelo, paulus. jimmy, etc...) who was especially renowned for his interesting harmonies, Tcha has a lot to share about chords and voice leading. He also has a unique style of phrasing on the guitar when he plays solo. He's also a great accompanist in different styles (he has really interesting grooves for eastern european balkan styles 7/8 accompaniment and all that whacky stuff)We'll explore all this and then some...

As far as the violin goes, we'll definite cover some of the traditional music stuff, but maybe keep it more closely related to GJ... we can for example look at how the Manouche approach eastern european music... Before Django Reinhardt, the Sinti were known for playing hungarian repertoire (in their own way), guys like Schnuckenack Reinhardt and Titi Winterstein popularized this... so we can check that out...