DjangoBooks.com

Your PA system?

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
Jumping the gun a bit, but planning for down the road. Basically, looking for some suggestions on a PA for anywhere from noisy small bar gigs to large halls for wedding receptions, birthdays, etc. The occasional outdoor gig.

I'm sure there's a million opinions, and a lot has to come down to budget....maybe it's all budget; but looking for opinions perhaps on value for dollar spent, in terms of the above scenarios.

Thanks,

Paul
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Let me try this another way. Let's say I have a loose rotation of 4-6 players. I'd like to be able to work in a variety of situations, realistically anticipating noisy bars to private events.

You bandleaders - how many of you:

(1) Use your own backline as the sole amplification;

(2) Mix your backline with a House PA;

(3) Depend exclusively on direct hookups (with vocal mics, if applicable) via pre-amp/DI boxes, etc., to a house PA - with technical needs expressed in a tech rider; and

(4) Use some mix, but it's all you - an amped backline, and your own PA system.

I'll be honest, the passing tech interest that seemingly infected this technophobe has waned considerably.

I did say I was also early, with just the beginnings of some kind of performing ensemble. An ideal world would allow me and my mates to bring our various inputs (mag/clip on mic/contact/condenser, etc.), a pre-amp/DI, and work with the house to get a good sound.

Probably like most here, I really don't enjoy amplification issues, rather spend my time on perfecting my little rhythm world. I also would prefer to get a quality flight case for my upcoming guitar (the Hoffee is very much in mind), over a set of FOH speakers...know what I mean?

So, for working bands - between having just your instrument, some sort of input, and a DI, to a full investment in some backline amping and some kind of PA system - where do you fall in this continuum, and if you could share some of your reasoning behind your choices, this technophobe would greatly appreciate it.

Paul
    -Paul

• Not sure what you are trying to find out here.

I can come with sax guitar and mic, amp, preamp,portastudio, mics and mixer for pa, powered speakers. Depending on what is needed.

If I am leading on a paid gig I hire those bring their own piece of the backline if local. If coming from afar, a matter to be discussed. Not organized a jam other than informal acoustic stuff with no amps.

Pretty big investment if you do it yourself. Gear with club or restaurant venues in our area is all over the map.

The project I am putting together will use direct to my PA and mics unless someone has their own setup they prefer in which case as long as it blends in fine by me.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Hi Jay.

Like I asked above, I'm asking where on the continuum between depending solely on one's own backline, to entirely on the house PA, people find themselves. How many invest in their own PA, and how many cart little else than their instrument and a DI.
    -Paul

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    We have done all four options, depending on the venue. For small, intimate occasions with no vocals, instrument amps suffice. We have also gone direct into a house PA or our own system, in the former case using the house monitors (no amps), in the latter sometimes using our amps as on-stage monitors. I own a simple system, old Yorkville power mixer and two speakers, that is adequate when we need to provide the PA.

One problem with house systems is that you are at the mercy of the person on the board. We've had some exceptionally good ones and others who have no idea what an acoustic band should sound like.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Thanks Ben, very helpful.

I'm not sure I should even conjecture at this point - trying to stay as mobile as possible, and my Trace Elliot has a built-in voltage switch for Euro current - so, guitar, several inputs and the TA100RS, and I'm good to go, literally.

That said, my little jam group has made its first public foray, and I'm forming an idea for a tighter configuration of anywhere from a trio to quintette. Basically, just curious how many bandleaders here have bit the bullet and invested in their own PA, for precisely the reasons you talk about, Ben.

I know Chris R. uses his amp as a monitor, and sets his mix so he likes it; but he also sends out pre-EQ, and works with house engineers quite a bit, to get good FOH sound. My other friend, a luthier, has a pretty dim view of most area engineers' abilities, so he sends out post-EQ and does whatever he can to keep control pretty tight to himself and his bandmates.
    -Paul

• My gear

Mackie Onyx 1220i Mixer 4 of the channels have preamps and they have nice sound

If needed for sound or extra preamps Art Gold tube preamp 2 channel

Tascam Portastudio wich plugs in and can record the two channel output

2 dB Technologies Opera Live 402 ... Powered speakers. 12 inch woofer midrange horn and 2 tweets each with 200w

Various mics and stands

Tis setup is portable enough to do light sound reinforcement in a small gig to a theater of a few hundred althou for a really good quality sound more speakers would be good. Tere are enough outs to add a few powered monitors or can run monitor system through control room output which has its own volume control

Even rca inputs for music in between

Onyx and speakers ...by shopping very carefully and waiting for blowout sales in Canada about 1600.
    Nice setup there Jay. I'm looking at Allen & Heath as a mixer, and a few different powered speakers, some other stuff. Seriously premature, but it's been nice to learn a bit more about this end of things.
    -Paul

• Check out the specs on the Onyx. It was recommended to me by a long time pro sound man...preamps are studio quality sound

Around 500 sliders re accurate and can usb stereo mix to computer

I can also by adding in my tine ART tube pre ose one of the powered speakers for an amp if I had to.

Although pretty big they are reasonably accurate and open. Nice acoustic sound.
  • CampusfiveCampusfive Los Angeles, CA✭✭✭✭
    We got our PA system 10 years ago, but other what I use for my guitar, it's been pretty much unchanged all these years. We basically bought everything in one trip to guitar center, and although I've wanted to upgrade several of the components for years, it's just never been enough of a priority to actually happen.

2 - 1st Gen JBL EONS 15" spkrs.
    1 - Behringer Mixer (the previous version of this mixer: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/1002B.aspx)
    1 - Shure 55SH for main vocals
    3 - Sennheiser 815s for instrument mics
    1 - Sennheiser e609 for micing my EH185 when needed
    1 - Rode NT3 for micing my acoustic archtop and selmer-style

Our band is:
    Main Vocal
    2 horns (trumpet + tenor/clarinet)
    Piano (keyboard when needed)
    Bass
    Drums
    Guitar (both acoustic archtops, and electric archtops though an amp)

There are basically three levels of gig that we do regularly.
    1) So big they have their own sound and sound guy, and we'll let them do it however they want.

Otherwise, we are doing part of the sound.
    2) House has their own speakers/amplifiers, but we bring the mixer and mics.
    3) We bring everything.
    We never mic drums, and rarely put the acoustic bass through the system. Bass has is own amp, which does have a DI out if needed. Sometimes, we'll mic the piano (usually with the e609), or run the piano through with a DI box, but usually not.
    4) Occasionally, if we have something smaller, we'll bring just one speaker.

If I could upgrade any of the components, I'd get newer 12" instead of 15" powered speakers with an onboard mixer, definitely better quality instrument mics, and the newer version of our mixer. It may not be studio-grade, but I've yet to find something with so many XLR inputs in such a small footprint.
    Wow, Jonathan, thank you. Great post. I've never come across that mixer - agreed, pretty wild, so many inputs on such a little thing.
    -Paul