DjangoBooks.com

Reasonable B & B in Paris

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
Hello from Paris, where I've been for the past few days.

I'm off to the Django museum exhibition in about an hour and will report back on that.

Hopefully, since it's Saturday, there will be some live music tonight, as their website seems to promise, although the most recent concerts I could find mentioned there were back in October/November...?

Anyway, I just wanted to leave some contact information here about my B & B, which is in a cool area of Paris known as Montmartre or the 18th arrondissement.

I'm very pleased with my accomodation here and thought I'd pass along the info to other potential Paris visitors. As of now, the price is 65 euros a night which gets you your own bedroom, share the apartment bathroom, and breakfast in the morning with the lady of the house, Jeanne Garnier

"Jeanne Garnier" <[email protected]>

Jeanne (rhymes with "fun") is easy to get along with and will speak a bit of English if pressed, though when we converse I prefer to practise my French.

Her apartment is on the fourth floor (which actually means the fifth floor since the French consider the ground floor as "zero") and there's no elevator, so this might not be suitable for everyone.

For an extra fee you can rent Jeanne's whole two-bedroom apartment as well and she'll go stay with a friend for a while. Right now her price for doing this is 100 euros a night, but I can't guarantee that that price will last forever or that she'll always be willing vacate the premises upon request.

Hope this info is of value to someone out there somewhere down the line. I know this doesn't actually seem that cheap by North American standards, but wait until you do some googling of Paris hotel prices...!

Will

PS I posted this with Jeanne's permission and told her that my friends on this site were fine gentlemen of a calibre which she'd be happy to have stay with her... hope that will always be the case!

And for some unknown reason, Jeanne's e-mail wouldn't accept any messages from my gmail account, so I had to start a hotmail account in order to contact her.
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Hi,

Try to get your hands on a Lylo, a small free magazine that lists almost every cultural event in and around Paris

If you're still there next Wednesday you're in for a treat:
    http://www.djangostation.com/spip.php?p ... 2013-01-01

And the weekly jams: http://www.djangostation.com/Boeufs-et- ... ers-a.html

And since tomorrow is Sunday, go to la Chope!: http://www.djangostation.com/+-Chope-de ... -La-+.html You never know who might show up!

Don't forget your camera and shoot us forum pals some video!

Enjoy!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Absolutely go to La chope des puces! 2-7 on weekends, Ninine Garcia and friends have a jam session. The neighbourhood is kind of rough, but the bar is delightful, and the music is as well. Ninine doesn't speak English, but he's very friendly.

Also check out L'atelier Charonne, great gypsy jazz every night of the week.

My wife and I went back to Paris in September and stayed in a Latin Quarter apartment this time instead of a hotel. Made a huge difference. It was small, but the bedroom was bigger than our entire hotel room last year, and it cost less. There are a number of Web sites that you can go to which offer apartment vacation rentals. You have to work a little harder, but it's worth the effort.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Thanks, you guys. Yesterday I went to the Chope aux Puces ("Mug of Fleas") and spent the afternoon listening to Ninine Garcia, his son Rocky, and Marcel Campion who is also the owner of the bar. Lots of fun!

They played lots of Latin-type stuff, probably because there was no bass? I know when I play with another guitar the Latin stuff tends to work well. It was nice to hear a tune like "Begin the Beguine" which is complicated enough that lots of guys don't play it. They also got the joint swinging with some pop tunes that the French audience seemed to like better than Latin or GJ-type tunes, stuff like "C'est si Bon" and "More"... I don't know what the latter is called in French but I heard several people singing along in French so I assume it has a French title as well.

The only niggle I have is that they played electric guitars. I don't know, there's just something about that warm SelMac tone that I like better than the cooler sound of an electric guitar... the only guy whose tone I actually like on electric guitar is a Canadian fella named Amos Garrett.

But WTF, they played great.

After that I went to the Taverne Cluny which has GJ but found that the music didn't start until 9! Well, this old geezer with a sore back didn't feel like that, so I had a nice meal in the Latin Quarter and then went home to bed.

Taverne Cluny has a bunch of musicians I've never heard of on their lineup, but I do notice that Adrien Moignard is booked for Thursday the 10th so I guess I'll have to stay up late that night, he's a real monster!

Plus I hope to get to the Atelier Charonne before then.

Thanks again,

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."