DjangoBooks.com

Nous'che Rosenberg Rhythm method

rangrorangro
edited January 2013 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 7
This may be of interest to some here:

http://www.indiegogo.com/gypsyrhythm

The latest word is that we just need to reach $10K in pledges and the course will make, due to an angel investor. I'm hoping we reach that figure, this would be a great resource! Check out what a $50 pledge buys, and I think you will agree it's a heck of a deal. It ends in four days, so get your pledge in if you're interested.

Full disclosure: I'm in no way affiliated with this, I just want to learn from Nous'che!

Comments

• AhabAhab GB✭✭
    I signed up to the Rosenberg Academy and found it to be a fantastic resource. I'd gladly pledge some money for a comprehensive rhythm course. Just a thought though, do you think it would be possible to make it mandatory that people signing up to the academy have to complete the rhythm course before they get to unlock the Stochelo stuff. ;-)
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    Man, I hope this makes it — the "Pro" perk is quite nice.

Also, watching his substitutions on Coquette... what was going on there? Especially the A7 substitutions? Can we break this down a bit?
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.
  • mcneely11mcneely11 ✭✭
    I didnt see him do anything out of the usual. Some chromatic sliding and extensions on some of the stuff. Do you have a second marking for where you are thinking of?
  • rangrorangro
    UPDATE: $19005 in pledges, folks. Just $995 short of the goal. This post has 168 views, so I'm sure there are a few more of you that are interested. Only 3 days left. You've got nothing to lose by pledging: if it reaches the goal you get a comprehensive, closeup look at the Rosenberg Trio's approach to gypsy rhythm guitar. That is priceless IMHO. If it doesn't make you get your money back.

I, for one, don't want my money back. I hope we get a few more takers....
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    mcneely11: I'm just getting started in on-the-fly substitutions, so these questions may be a bit simplistic. It looks like rather than an A7, he plays a Db diminished a lot. I guess this makes sense — I play that diminished run over dominants. I just never thought to entirely substitute the chord. Nous'che also moves this around a lot (well, this makes sense given it repeats) — at 2:13 onwards, he plays a diminished, and moves it up four frets. Nous'che also precedes the ii a lot with a Eb diminished? What's going on there?

Also, rather than two bars of D7, two bars of Gmaj6, he bounces back and forth a bit (around 2:00 in). What's going on here? It sounds great and bouncy, but would this throw off a soloist (well, one other than Stochelo)? Would the diminished vs dominant substitution throw off soloists too?

Also, at 2:17, he's playing a voicing lower on the neck. What is this? I tried to figure it out, but I'm having some trouble. Sorry for all the questions, it's just that seeing the rhythm in this level of depth is amazing. I spend hours watching odd YouTube videos and trying to pick apart phrases, but it's unfortunately rare that the camera focus on the rhythm player.

It's so informative to see Nous'che voicings. I've seen Hono's voicings via DC musicschool, which seem more neutral and simple, but still sound great.
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I didn't see anything particularly fancy, subbing that Db diminished [x4535x] for the V (A7) is old hat. it's just like a first inversion with a b9 chucked in. also heard a few tritone subs with Eb9 [x6566x] used as chromatic leading chords over the V (A7). sometimes he uses a Cmaj7 kind of thing as substition for the ii (Em), like [xx5453], which was nice. the only thing which i didn't recognise immediately by ear was that bit vince already mentioned at 2:17, it's over the I (D) chord and he seems to be hopping back and forth between D and D6 like [xx4232] and [xx4432], which sounds very cute! i like it!!

glad to see the 10,000 pledge went in. i will pledge another $50 if it looks like it's getting too close for comfort .. :mrgreen:
    Nous'che also precedes the ii a lot with a Eb diminished? What's going on there?

you can think of the Eb dim as the "five of 2", i.e. it's a substitute for B7. it's common trick in jazz to precede a chord in the chart (any chord!), briefly, by it's dominant.
  • mcneely11mcneely11 ✭✭
    edited August 2012 Posts: 15
    You mentioned him sliding a diminished chord up - that's the great thing about them. You can play the same shape every four frets and it is just an inversion of the same chord.

To expand on that Ebdim to Eminor - There are several ways you can approach a chord with its dominant or a variation of. Let's take E minor:

B7 / Emin
    Ebdim / Emin
    F#dmin(inversion of Ebdim) / Emin
    F7 (triotone substitution of B7) / Emin
    Fmin (just a half step above, you might call this "chromatic planing") / Emin

There are others but I dont want to over complicate things.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    We're just a few hundred dollars from making it!!

In response to Nous'che's choice of chords and voicings... He's not playing Eb (D#) diminished before the Em... it's D natural diminished!...Yep, look closer.
    He does play C# and E diminished over the A7.
    He also likes to play Em with a higher voicing than I would've thought:
    XX5453/ 3rd 5th Root 3rd.
    vince wrote:
    Also, at 2:17, he's playing a voicing lower on the neck. What is this?
    Wim 's correct, bouncing between D(triad) XX4232 and D6 XX4432 (same as a Bm triad)... Try the 7th fret version if you are having trouble X7555X / X7755X

And Man!... He's got some Swing!
    ah i see the bit you are talking about now, he goes to D dimished before the ii like [x5646x] -> [xx5453]
    i guess then it's making more sense to think of it instead like a chromatic leading Bb7 -> A7 thing, or in this case Bb7b9 [x5646x] -> A9 [xx5453]