DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

kevingcox SledDawg Guillermo

Givone's Student Video's

Hello Everyone.
I'm new to the Givone Book. I have been playing guitar for around 20yrs, mostly rock and blues. I have been trying to play gypsy jazz now for 5 yrs.
On this video I am playing to Django's Tiger at around 150bpm. I basically thought AMaj for the first 6 measures and E7 for 8 measures and AMaj for 2 more for the A section. For the B section I thought of AMaj for 4 measures and then used my ear playing just in the AMaj scale. So I used Will's suggestion on matching a Maj phrase with the corresponding Dom 7th. I matched Form 4 pg. 20 with Form 1 pg. 24. Also Form 3 pg. 20 with Form 5 pg. 24
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Darin

Comments

• spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    i think there is a problem with the link. you have to change the videos privacy setting so that those with the link can view it. i think for the moment its on a totally private setting where only you can access it
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 19
    Try it now and let me know if it works and is this only available to Givone members?
    Use inlisted- only the people who read your post can access it- thats exclusive enough no? Or Send the link to thé givone group by email and take it out the post.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Hey man,

I watched your video. Good stuff ! Maybe next time video from a wider angle so we can see your right hand too.
    One thing I noticed (I think) is that on the A section, during the E7 to F7, and back to E7, you phrased around the E7 chord the whole time. While this works because it anticipates the resolve back to the E7, I would say for your next go round, Try repeating whatever phrase you did on the E7 up a half step during the F.
    Not a critique as much as a different idea to try.

And maybe you did this but I didn't hear it...

All in all, though, I really liked your melodic phrases. They seemed fluid and conveyed the chord structure well.

Anthony
  • SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Anthony

I'd been happy to have played what you did. Good stuff.

Sp
    that's a very good example i think of how to begin working on these forms. we can see you exploring and at the same time trying to keep it swinging. keep going!!
    if i were to make a crtiticism it would be thats sometimes its a little heavy handed. i think you could keep your sense of swing and sometimes play a little less agressively. but thats a bit of a personal thing. (i dont play agressively enough myself)
    thanks for sharing