DjangoBooks.com

Wegen vs. moustache

koasterkidkoasterkid Burlington, VTNew
what are the differences between Wegens and moustache picks? Are there advantages one way or the other?
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Comments

• pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    There are many differences:

- The wegen GJ pick is slightly recessed on the thumb side for a more comfortable grip.

- While the too picks have pretty sharp ends, the GJ has an overall rounder tip with more prnounced bevelling on the edges

- The Wegen GJ is slightly thinner (3.5 mm) than both version of the Moustache (4 and 5 mm)

- The Wegen plastic feeels harder than the Moustache.

I personnaly prefer Wegen picks over any of the other "high-end picks" (and I own a lot of them: Moustache, AK, multiple Dugains, multiple Wegen, etc...): they are the most comfortable and easy to hold picks out there and the hard plastic is almost impossible to wear out and produces a nice crisp sound. The Wegen GJ is a nice allround pick but you might also want to check out the M350 for a rounder tip and the Button for rhythm playing.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I've been using the Moustache for about a year. They're a little brighter then the Wegens. They sound closer to Tortoise to my ear...and the shape is pretty much the exact shape that Fapy uses when he makes his own picks.

I just got some thinner Moustache picks in...2mm and 3mm. Some folks might like those....I like the 4mm.

'm
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    micheal,
    i thought you said that the dutch guys use dull edged picks that resemble the wegen button. i know there's no one way to do it, but it kind of makes a difference when trying to back-engineer the style.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
    When Fapy first makes his picks they're almost exactly like the 4mm moustache. However, he plays them until they look like the button! Basically half the pick gets worn off until it looks like a wedge.

I'm serious...

'm
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    do all of the dutch guys use the same type of pick? i read that stochelo uses a small pick- what about jimmy?

thanks.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    I think that Stochelo used a fat pick when he was younger. He switched to smaller ones as he got older. He sometimes uses something similar to the Big City pick:

Wegen
    Big City 1.8mm (4 Pack)

When I played with him he let me use his guitar and pick. It was a very small piece of tortoise shell...about the size of a nickel.

I think Jimmy uses Stubby jazz picks.

'm
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    This paragraph from a Dutch publication interviewing Wegen seems to say that Stochelo uses the BigCity pick. (gebruikt? similar to gebraucht which is German for bought or has-bought or buys) I've been going toward thinner picks in general recently with the notable exception of the Wegen M250 which is a great rhythm pick. Just thought I'd pass this on. If you're a Dutch speaker you may want to correct me... and I'm not sure what "De airco voor mijn vingers, zegt Stochelo" although it looks a lot like: "Die airco fur mein fingers, sagt Stochelo" which would mean "The airco for my fingers, said Stochelo" so... whatever "airco" means.. (possibly the grip holes?) Is it just my imagination or do German and Dutch look really similar? I asked that question of an elderly woman in Amsterdam once and she lectured me for 10 minutes on the German occupation and how different the two languages were... so I just sort of stood there and took the onslaught politely. I didn't mean to offend her - I'm sure it was a bad time in history and certainly unfortunate that she had to experience it firsthand - but I still think the two languages seem to share a lot of similarly pronounced but differently spelled words...

Nuchter
    Wegen is een nuchtere kerel, maar zegt met enige trots: 'Ik ben een keer op uitnodiging op een Django Reinhardt Festival geweest. Iedereen wilde met mij op de foto. Dat ding heeft mijn leven veranderd.' De Wegen Picks en hun schepper zijn een internationaal fenomeen geworden. Maar ook in eigen land weten ze in bepaalde gitaarkringen drommels goed wie Michel Wegen is. Het Rosenberg Trio gebruikt de plectrums uit Lochem. Er komt zelfs een signature-model voor Stochelo Rosenberg. Stochelo gebruikt de Bigcity Pick, een wat groter plectrum dat voorzien is van vijf gaatjes. 'De airco voor mijn vingers, zegt Stochelo altijd,' vertelt Michel Wegen lachend.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • pmh425pmh425 Middle Island, NY✭✭✭✭
    I find I prefer the Moustache over the Wegen. I have also been using a Tortis and am finding I prefer that over the others. I find the Moustache closer to the Tortis pick in tone.

-Peter
    -Peter
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    "I think Jimmy uses Stubby jazz picks."

Michael, do you mean the thick Big-Stubby picks?

A friend of mine who played with Nomy said that Nomy uses the thinner Stubbys.

Anyone else out there have a clue as to what kind of pick Jimmy Rosenberg uses?
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
  • cantzoncantzon Jeju Do, South KoreaNew
    I think the moustache sounds better but the Wegen is more comfortable to hold. I wish the moustache people would modify the grip portion of the pick to be more like the wegen.

If you like these two picks you might also want to look into the gipsy star picks.

http://www.star-gipsyplectrums.nl/

They are easy to grip but they move your picking hand slightly closer to the strings.