DjangoBooks.com

Is there something wrong with the rhythm guitar?

LucaLuca New
edited November 2012 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 7
Hi everybody,

Is it just me or is something wrong with this "la pompe"? I find it very annoying but I'm not sure why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVM9l7FQ ... PQVEylobrL

(I posted a similar article a few weeks ago but got no response so far. Maybe I posted it in the wrong section of the forum and probably my question was not precise enough. So I thought I'd try again - hope it's not a transgression of the forum etiquette).

Comments

• BrettBrett New
    Are you the same Luca listed as one of the guitarists on the vid?
  • LucaLuca New
    Hi Brett
    Yes, I'm the guy next to the bass player
  • I find it difficult to know what you want to find out. Comments about rhythm technique or comments about the performance.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • LucaLuca New
    I'm interested in comments on rhythm technique. To me our rhythm playing does not have the "right" feeling. I was wondering if this was just my idiosyncratic opinion or if you actually had the same impression. If the latter is the case, I'd be interested in recommendations for improvement.

(Comments on our performance are very welcome of course - but not the reason why I posted this article in the first place)
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with it. You're in good coordination and both (rhythm guys) are doing the same thing so it sounds like one guitar - and that's so incredibly important. Maybe the 2 & 4 are a little strong relative to the 1 & 3, but that could just be an effect of the amplification. It rarely sounds the same out front as it does on the stage.

Perhaps what you're hearing is that the song sounds a bit more aggressive than you'd prefer. This song is supposed to be a groovy steam-train-chugging-down-tempo swing-tune. So maybe lay back a bit on tempo and focus a little more on feeling that little pause on the 1 & 3... till you feel it start to swing. This is a fun song, so take some time to lay back and really enjoy it and feel it in your bones when you play it.

Here's a good swinging version by Dorado & Mano

or listen to Django's original version.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    as Bob mentioned the 2 and 4 sound very strong but that may be partially an effect of the mix, youtube's compression, and the fact that the bass is too loud. You can't really hear the rhythm guitars on 1 and 3 so it ends up sounding a bit like bluegrass. If the mix was better it would be easier to tell.
  • LucaLuca New
    Thanks, Michael and Bob! That was big help.
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    Hi,
    First I think the first major problem is the tuning... Guys you have to tune your instruments.

As far as I'm concerned it's the first soloist that's much annoying to me... he's out of tune and if you listen and look closely, he can't stop plucking with it's right hand, he never stops or breathes with the right hand. So there's always an out of tune string ringing.

Then I would recommend that when you do la pompe you have to keep being straight. No "chabada" or messy afterbeat, it must be like a carpet for the solosit, your two rhythm guitars have to sound like one with a tight sound.

It's just a matter of playing, keep going guys! :)
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    I agree about the 2 and 4. 1 and 3 are barely audible.
    It would be interesting to hear a recording you guys in a different room, even better outdoors.

You asked for critique so there will be things pointed out. But it is also important to say that it was a nice performance!

My advice for the soloists would be to pick closer to the bridge to bring out more of the tone in the guitar.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Also take notice of the fact that Dorado is playing it a lot slower. Speed is not necessarily a good thing.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles