DjangoBooks.com

My Progress in Jazz Manouche

Comments

• AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    Both. I memorize them as Stochelo performed them and practice them like that, like a classical musician would practice a classical piece. Try to make it sound as identical as possible.

I also practice improvisation by taking apart licks from different solos that I know and re-arrange them. I fill in the blanks with my own stuff. Now after having learned over 30 of Stochelos solos(I can't play nearly all of them any where close to his speed though!), I encounter the same licks again and again, among a few new ones. Stochelo has a collection of licks that he re-arranges rythmically and modifies in small ways, and then he has tune-specific licks that he only seems to play on certain tunes.

Here's a video from 3 months ago where I attempt to improvise using the vocabulary I have accumulated.

As you hear I can get into a nice flow some times, but then there are some shaky parts here and there where I get thrown off. I notice now compared to before that there are less shaky parts and more flow the more I learn.

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 1,252
    As you hear I can get into a nice flow some times, but then there are some shaky parts here and there where I get thrown off. I notice now compared to before that there are less shaky parts and more flow the more I learn.

Haha... the shaky parts are the juicy parts, man! The shaky parts are the sound of neurons firing on turbo, new synapses forming, and jazz being born. If you keep yourself knee-deep in shaky parts, you'll eventually see someone post a thread called: "Amund Solo - Note for Note."

:-)
    mwaddell000
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow, your playing is really coming along nicely!
  • lostjohnlostjohn Charleston, WV✭✭ Altamira M01
    Amund,
    All of these videos are fantastic. Way to go!
    You give me hope that, if I put in the necessary time, I might be able to play this style with at least some level of proficiency someday.
    mwaddell000AmundLauritzenjazzygtr
    This months song on the Rosenberg Academy is "After You've Gone".

Here is a short clip of improvisation practice on that tune:

• jazzygtrjazzygtr Stillwater, MN✭✭ Gibson J-35
    Yup, this thread just motivates the heck out of me :D

Thanks for that and AWESOME playing in these vids!!! Keep up the good work sir!

David
    Thank you David for the encouragement, and to all the others who encourage me to keep practicing.

I'm planning on posting an update soon. I've been working hard on this:

When I practice I slow down the audio with the program "Transcribe" and play along with Stochelo. I've reached 90%, where I can play it acceptably, not perfect, but with few mistakes and I can recover if I mess up. Now, those last percents are the hardest...

My goal is to be able to record a decent cover of Stochelos solo by the end of this month.
    jazzygtr
  • Yep Amund, the last 10% takes waayyyyy longer than the first 90%. But clearly you are progressing really well. You are an inspiration to us all.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    From my experience the hardest part of that last 10% is being disciplined enough to drop back to 50-60% and hammer it out over and over rather than hang on for dear life at 92% and hope that someday you will make it.
    Quick take on China Boy