Looking for recommendations for violin for

studio recording

Live performance

The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Comments

• Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    DPA
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    Check out "The Band" by Headway. You can remove put it on and remove it easily as it wraps around the body. The sound is very natural as it picks up the whole body of the instrument. Violinist in my old group used one and loved it, as well as many of the session violinist I've played with.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Headway-Music-Audio-BAND-Pick-Up/dp/B000W0ENG0

Shadow also do some good ones. I have one on my cello that inserts two contact pads under the bridge feet. Great sound but not really removable unless you slacken the strings and reposition each time you take it off/on.
  • Thanks for the suggestions.

DPA 4099 is great, it's what I use with sax and guitar, think the headway is more in our violinists budget.
    If your guy wants to buy a headway, send him to me. I have one I've used about 2 times I'm looking to sell. It sounds good. I just don't need it !
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 3,707
    Do you have a price in miNd. We are rehearsing tomorrow night and I still haven't been able to get him on this site except to lurk a bit. Very very shy with people very very musical.
    100 bucks.
    They retail fort almost 200.
  • I will pass it on tonight
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    My violin plater uses an AT70 and it sounds great
  • MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    I'll put in my .02 for my favorite, JJB PPS-200. This is a twin head piezo pickup, not a mic. I've installed these in three fiddles with a screw-in guitar endpin jack. The strap groove is perfect for the tail gut. The finished install is clean and invisible from the outside, and does not affect the acoutic tone. Much easier than bands and carpenter jacks that have to be installed to play then removed afterward. I use thin profile 90 degree plugs on my instrument cords for comfort (a stright plug in the throat makes it hard to sing). Maybe not the answer for someone with a very expensive instrument or queasiness about drilling and tapering the endpin hole. Here is what it looks like on my latest 5-string viola conversion:

• MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    Total cost for the above about $30 (installed myself).