DjangoBooks.com

Myers Pickups

13»

Comments

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Buco wrote: »

@bopster hey nice picture on Myers site!

Buco

The picture of me or the guitar?
    You with the guitar!
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Thanks Buco!
    By the way, you mentioned in your video that you're doing some phase reversal, why do you need that? Usually, in my experience, reverse phase will affect the sound in not such a great way, unless you're trying to fix something.
    I use phase reversal on my preamp for feedback control.
    Oh yes, I have that on the Fishman eq pedal but I haven't used it in a while since I've been using Krivo pickups lately.

Myers is on the way, I'll check back in once I check it out.

Thanks Paul.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 4,738
    I got the pickup and was experimenting a bit today.

I was learning the head for Joseph Joseph today and recorded a sample with the Myers mic and the Monoprice condenser mic:
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11502&cs_id=1150201&p_id=600700&seq=1&format=2
    The signal from mics went to the premp and then to the usb interface and finally the PC.
    I setup the Myers mic to point at the fretboard at about 17th fret, as far down the neck that the gooseneck mic can reach. If I point it around the sound hole or inside it, I get too much boomines from the body of the guitar.
    The Monoprice mic is pointed at around the same spot on the fretboard, just further away, around 10" or so.

The Myers mic is surprisingly forward and full sounding, though the high frequencies don't extent as much. Monoprice mic has better high frequency range and more air around it but compared to Myers is lacking bass and fullness. All in all I like how Myers mic sounds on this bare bones recording, probably more than Monoprice mic.

It seems it's a low gain mic so I'll definitely need a preamp to be able to use it with my Lunchbox acoustic and it was feeding back easily without any feedback squelching circuit. I still have to play around with it and the amp to see what that sounds like.

What I like the most about it is that I can point it at the fretboard from above, as on the pics below, and do away with the body boominess I was getting from other mini mics I tried that were stuck to use at or very near the sounhole. But I'll only keep it if I can get a good output from it through the Lunchbox acoustic as I'm not gonna be able to get a different amp that works well with the Myers mic.
    @bopster I once tried the Cub AG-100 and just loved it but it was too expensive for me.

In any case Myers mic is a versatile and well made and executed product.
    And the pics
    Nice Buco! As I kept trying out positions for the gooseneck, I began to understand just where to place the Myers for the most pleasing sound.
    Thanks Paul. He really nailed it with the gooseneck mic, gives you a big range of positions with very little messing around. Although, as you pointed out, I couldn't get the suction cup to suck for very long, maybe 10 minutes was the longest before it fell off. I use the putty that came with the Krivo pickup. It works as long as I don't have the weight of the cable pulling on the mic, I lay the cable across my leg first and the mic stays in place fine.