DjangoBooks.com

Tchavolo Swing and chord notation

nelson84nelson84 New
edited August 2007 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 28
Hey Michael or anyone else out there who can help. I'm going through this book and while it has amazing amounts of useful material, some notation I find in fake books for chords is alien to me, especially when trying to figure out those chords in gypsy jazz-ish positions....for example...I found this chord sheet for Tchavolo Swing: http://www.visi.com/~mpv/charts/Tchavalo%20Swing.pdf

and I have no idea what D-6 is, i mean I know what a D6 should look like, but what does the hyphon mean? some notations have pluses, some have triangles....its very confusing to me. Is there a good book that talks about the basics for notation like this and how to construct a gypsy jazz chord out of notation like that?
thanks so much!

-Nelson

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi Nelson,

That's a D minor 6 chord. Here are some general notation examples:

-(minor)
    +(augmented)
    Triangle (major 7th)
    7 (dominant 7)
    circle (diminished)
    circle with a line through it (half-diminished aka minor7b5)
    6(sixth)
    9(ninth)
    -with a triangle (minor chord w/a major seventh)

There's probably some I'm forgetting, too.

best,
    Jack.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    A - (hyphen or minus sign) is a common notation for a minor chord, so D-6 would be D minor 6. + would represent augmented. The triangle is used to designate major 7. A circle is a diminished chord and a circle with a slash through it is half-diminished.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Oop, Jack beat me to it.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    What book is that, by the way? Looks like a great chart. I'm looking for charts like that for our violin player. The usual chord charts don't do him a lot of good.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • nelson84nelson84 New
    hey thanks guys, that helped....i found that chord chart on this site, its actually all violin sheet music, check it out:

http://www.visi.com/~mpv/charts/
    I'm pretty sure it's just a collection of charts someone made themselves using Finale or Sibelius. There are some good finds, but some mistakes too if I remember right. Still worth a look!
    http://www.visi.com/~mpv/charts/

best,
    Jack.
    Gaaaaaahhhhhh! So many overlapping posts, and the edit button has gone missing!
    Jack wrote:
    Gaaaaaahhhhhh! So many overlapping posts, and the edit button has gone missing!

Indeed, Jack. I wonder whatever happened to the edit button? I looked for it after realizing that we had overlapped, to no avail.

The site does look useful - thanks for the reference. Our group used to consist of two guitars and a bass, and we got along OK with chord charts. However, our new violin player is classically trained and new to jazz improv (but coming along nicely), and lead sheets are helpful. I make my own using Music Time Deluxe (a decent notation program WAY cheaper than Sibelius et al), but it's time-consuming, so it's nice to find that someone has been kind enough to post theirs. Even if there's a mistake here and there, it's a big help.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    8)