DjangoBooks.com

Slide lick

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
edited April 2014 in Technique Posts: 432
I need some sage advice here. I've transcribed most of Swing Chez Toto from Angelo Debarre's Trio Tout a Cordes album. At 1:05 there's cool slide up to F (on the high E string). It's really smooth. I'm guessing he just slides one finger up while alternate picking on the E string? But it almost sounds too precise to be that. Or does he group the notes into triplets and play them with multiple fingers? Any thoughts? Thanks. I'm gonna try and upload the song but I'm not sure it'll upload.

Comments

• Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    edited April 2014 Posts: 542
    I've got the transcription from the Caprice recording, I don't know whether it's the same.
    Are you talking about the blues lick? You're doing a short slide on the B string from D# to E (4 to 5).

pardon my poor tab, but basically the idea is:

---3---3- E string
    4/5-4/5-- B string

(you don't actually play the D#, it#s just to illustrate the slide)
    - JG
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    He does it differently on "Trio tout a Cordes". He does that song differently every time and they're all great! But on this one he basically slides (I think) all the way up the E string from the 1st fret to the 13th. I tried to upload the song but could not. I may try to load a small clip later.
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    That's a great glissando. I'm sure he just does it with one finger and alternate picking. It'd actually slow you down to try to do it with a few fingers shifting position constantly. It's just very, very, very precise. Practice :) Angelo is awesome!
  • lostjohnlostjohn Charleston, WV✭✭ Altamira M01
    No doubt!! Angelo is freakishly good. Never a slurred note. You're setting your bar pretty high, Charles.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Ah, just had a listen. I agree just one finger / alternate picking slide up. Angelo kicks butt!
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking that is just a freakishly good slide with one finger. It almost sounds to good to be that!
  • One finger or four fingers....doesn't matter.....though one would certainly be easier....it's the coordination at that speed that takes the time to build...start slow and work up repeat until done....it'll take a while :):D
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed