DjangoBooks.com

Wich cheap GJ guitar to get

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    W.B., it's obvious you're going to get a lot of different opinions. I can only tell you that a lot of experienced people, pro players, bandleaders, etc., have without exaggeration kind of done a WTF? on my DG-300, been blown away by it, esp. when I told them the price I paid. Maybe I was just lucky, or I would be floored by other makes, if playing them, etc. I suspect everyone has a favorite, and ultimately, if you could find a way to play out several makes, that would be ideal.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    I had an Aria MM-20 (my first GJ guitar). Sounded pretty good, but had a slight hump in the fretboard around the 14th fret. This may be fairly common. I've been more impressed with the Cigano's I've played, if you can get one with a solid top.
    Swang on,
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I happen to agree with those favoring the DG300. The Cigano is a surprisingly good guitar for the price and better sounding than the midrange Sagas (DG255 and the like), but IMHO the DG300 is much better built and better sounding. With a proper setup, it can hold its own quite nicely.

A friend had a Cigano solid top oval, and it was incredibly sensitive to humidity changes, even for a gypsy guitar. Even with a humidifier in the case, the top went up and down like a yo-yo.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Ben, your post flags me, I should mention that I have on board not the factory bridge, but a Dupont #3, and a couple of luthiers (one in Chicago, one in Madison), did tweak the setup. Memory fails, but I do seem to recall a substantial difference before and after these mods.

Going to DIJ. Can't tell you how keyed I am. 20 years ago, I trained there...as a Shakespearean actor, before becoming part of a Troupe out of the Berkshires. And, I, was, uh, younger. :shock:
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I have no doubt that there was a big difference after the setup and replacement bridge. A friend of mine who has DG300 did some mods to the factory bridge, taking away some of the mass and beveling the ends a bit, and the difference was pronounced. A Dupont bridge would no doubt be an even bigger improvement.

Hope to meet up with you at DiJ!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • tarantogatarantoga
    Buy an Altamira here, if you from Europe, its 600 Euro and the case is included.
    gypsyguitar.de
  • W.BW.B New
    thanks for all the reply's

diffrent toughts and opinions !
    guess i need to try the gitane dg 300 and cigano gj 10 in a store , cant try out the altamira but will check that on youtube and sound clips.

still got some time to decide :)

thanks all for the great help.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    In my personal experience, the d-hole Ciganos have been excellent for the money, and the ovals have been, shall we say, less than impressive. But I know guys whose opinions I really respect that have heard Cigano ovals that were quite good. My guess is that Ciganos are more hit or miss that higher end Sagas.

I think the DG-300's are much more consistent. I have played and listened to a couple dozen of them and have never come across a bad one. The only better factory guitars I have ever played are the early Manouche "Moreno" models.

In the end, try to play as many guitars as you can first, and trust your ear. But I think in your price range, a Used DG-300 is as good as you can do.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    Michael makes a good point about the early Manouche Moreno guitars. They might be more easily findable in Europe. If you can get your hands on one of those at a decent price, grab it!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • W.BW.B New
    Great great great guys !
    i really like your kindness on this forum. that said !

im busy with searching and listening to videos of gypsy guitars all over the net.
    i saw djangobooks had allot of videos about diffrent guitars and one guy is playing them.
    i dual opened the youtube channel 1 video playing the Gitane DG-300 and 1 video playing the cigano gj 10, i paused the one and listened to the other and vice versa to just listen and hear the sound of these guitars and i have to say , in those videos the cigano sound is brighter and the snapping attack what in my opinion makes it gypsy jazz sounding is more present than it is on the gitane DG-300.
    but it can be the video , it can be my ears but this is what ive heard.

checking ebay all the time but the shipping cost for a guitar are $120 dollar and then when it arrives i need to pay customs import tax. so on a guitar of like $1000 including shipping cost i need to pay $200 customs tax its so horrible that i quited looking for a guitar from the U.S.
    and you guys with the $600 ~ $800 Gitane DG-300 from ebay you must have been very lucky cause the cheapest i can find is $1000 and shipping cost will be $120 = $1120 and when it arrives i need to pay like 25% of $1120 lets say i got it for $1200 shipped , then im better off buy 1 second hand for arround 800 euro from a second hand site here. or buy a 400 euro cigano with some options from djangobook.com shop.

ohhh its really difficult :)