DjangoBooks.com

Harmsworth and willis

Hi folks

first time poster from Scotland. I'm an old and experienced guitar player whos now venturing into the world of Django. i dont want to spend tons of cash on a guitar to find i just havent got it for Gypsy jazz. I have been offered a Harmsworth and Willis Petite Bouche with slight repair for £300. Trouble is i cant find anything on them, ie the website is down, i've tried contacting through email and phone....nada, zilch. Anyone help?

Comments

Not a good sign thus far. I've never heard of the brand. So I wouldn't buy it hoping for much resale value. Try it if it plays well, not much harm in buying it.

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Hi there Henrik. I'm from Scotland too and I have some information on Harmsworth & Willis for you. They were hand built in the Phillipines by a relation of Mike Harmsworth and they were imported into the UK in small batches by Mike and his business partner Nev Willis. I think they ran the business for about 8 or 9 years and they were quite simply fantastic guitars for the money. I've owned 2, an oval hole and a d hole. I only sold them because I had accumulated too many. For £300 it's a no brainer - for me at any rate. Good luck.

always learning
  • stuologystuology New

Agreed £300 is a steal. Very decent guitars in my experience

• HenrikHenrik New

Even with a repair?

• stuologystuology New

Depends what the repair is but if it’s a slight one as you said then yes it’s good value.

• BonesBones Moderator

Hows the tone, volume and playability?

• guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

On the video JIMMY IS BACK we see his manager giving him a guitar made by Harmsworth and Willis.

He tries the guitar in parking lot and then we see him playing it in concert.

Buco
  • HenrikHenrik New

Any thoughts?

Repaired crack shows up from some angles and not others. It is reinforced inside with cleats

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I'd buy it even with the repaired crack.

always learning
  • HenrikHenrik New

What would a guitar like this cost new?