DjangoBooks.com

Right hand posture

So Ive been taking video during my practices to examine my right hand more. I’ve normally used an entirely floating hand but I’ve been trying to experiment with the fingers brushing the guitar for a little more control/speed etc. so far it actually does help a lot but I’m having trouble with the posture of my hand. I’ve looked up others recommendations but I feel like because I have very long fingers I end up having to curl my middle and ring finger to get them out of the way of strings especially when playing the low A or E and I think it’s leading to some tension. Recommendations? Photos of of your posture?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

@King_Cardboard It's tough to tell much from a still shot but one thing I do notice is that your arm is really low, curling around the back of the guitar so that your forearm is over the tailpiece. You might try getting your arm up on the bout and "choking up" a bit so that your wrist is in higher position. That might also help get your fingers in a better position.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

Also, take a look at Christiian van Hemert's video on right hand technique (youtube).

You should hold the pick with your thumb, index, and middle finger all together (middle finger curled up slightly more than your index finger). This should be relaxed but feel like a unit with your hand -- your wrist moves and delivers your hand and the integral thumb, index and middle fingers, which don't mive separately. Only the ring and pinkie "float" on the soundboard (and maybe over the 1st and 2nd strings when you go for the 5th and 6th strings). Play "into" the guitar -- hard to explain, but not simply across the strings. Play only with the wrist, don't push with your thumb and index finger.

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

The holding of the middle finger on the pick though an interesting concept is not something everyone does so I would not necessarily follow that piece of advice though I guess it can work, so many things work. Most important is to chase tone, the technique usually follows.

Buco
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

The holding of the middle finger on the pick though an interesting concept is not something everyone does

Maybe it's a Dutch thing?

BucoBones
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
  • PetrovPetrov ✭✭

It's the tone that matters. I don't think there's a correct way. It should feel relaxed and go for the sound you want.

Like @Scoredog said. The technique will follow.

BucoScoredog
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 4,730

It takes a lot of experimenting, trial and error, changing what doesn't work, trying something different that you saw others do or were told or came up with on your own. What works for one person might not for another. Take a look at Angelo, Stochelo and Bireli for example, no two are the same. Holding the pick ala Benson is what Sebastien is doing. But then he told us the anecdote during the class how when he was younger he was playing with Tchavolo one time, Tchavolo told him not to hold the pick like that, that it was wrong. So Sebastien changed it while they were playing and went back to his old way afterwards. As was pointed out the tone is what matters. You could try to copy the right hand of whoever's tone you like. It's a quest. After a while these things kinda sort themselves out and settle down on their own but it does take a while.

PS what @MichaelHorowitz noticed is a little unusual to see and his advice is something you can start with, change and see what happens. Although I'm sure you could find a great player that does exactly that so it's not to say that it's wrong...

PPS actually if you look at the photos of Stochelo and Bireli, their arm comes more from the back/side of the guitar (but not quite as low as yours) where Angelo's is more across the upper bout.

t-birdScoredog
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel