DjangoBooks.com

Angelo Debarre

cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 191

I see that Angelo Debarre is performing at DFNW next weekend. However, he's not the headliner and isn't giving any workshops. What gives?

Comments

• stuologystuology New

He’s top of the list on the website so he looks like the headliner.

I’ve been in a workshop with Angelo. You are missing nothing. Angelo is an incredible human being with many talents but giving workshops is not one of them. That’s true of many top players in this genre. They don’t know how to explain how they do what they do, they just do it. (Also true of top players in other genres).

wim
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭

That has been kind of my experience - though the workshop with Bireli a few years back was amazing.

Michael Horowitz and John Jorgensen are two of the best teachers with well thought out lesson plans.

Am taking Ludovic Beier's accordion class on Friday and am looking forward to that.

MichaelHorowitz
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭

I did look up on YouTube this combo that Angelo is playing with and even if he is not the headliner, he is certainly well represented in the presentation and so for sure Friday's concert looks great. I am being kind of a minimalist this year but am about to get my ticket for that, rather than see what is available when I get there Friday. I live close by but it takes two ferries to get to DFNW which is always a little inconvenient. Friday is good as there are lots of late ferries.

• cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭

Just got my ticket for that Friday night concert. Last one in premium seating in the center section where we are squeezed in like sardines in those narrow seats. Am bringing a cushion! There were still seats available by the outside walls and in the 34 rows in the back.

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

I disagree with the idea that Angelo's workshops would be a waste - great player, good understanding of what he is doing, he can be very patient. Some french musical terms are helpful . . .

Took some classes with him at DIJ and enjoyed them quite a bit; also took one back in the day here in NYC with him and samson, but I was the only one who had any sense of what was going on in that one . . . around 2003??

Still, best option if it's allowed, film the show and transcribe it!

Great band with M. Chatlain on rhythm - wish I could go!

• cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭

Looks like he is giving a workshop along with Aurore Voilqué on Saturday after all.

In the past any kind of recording has been frowned upon in concerts, but not in workshops.

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

oh, cool . . She is also great! Lucky you guys who are going!