DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Jam at the Neutral Ground Coffeehouse New Orleans

ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
in North America Posts: 335
My trio—River Gypsy Jazz—has a regular monthly 2 hour slot at the Neutral Ground Coffeehouse in New Orleans. I’m putting the word out to all aspiring (and inspiring) players to come and sit in. It’s low stress, no pressure. We play the standard early acoustic Django repertoire. Next gig is Tuesday night, 1/22/19 from 8 to 10 pm. The address is 5110 Danneel St.

Notice that we’re finally getting a world class combo in town for the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival in late April. The Django Allstars are on the bill for a set. Been wishing more stars would do concerts here. After all, the birthplace of Jazz and Louis Armstrong deserve a little gypsy Jazz love.

Meanwhile, I’ll take my inspiration where I can—internet, YouTube, etc.—and try to recruit and encourage players when I can.
BucowimAndyW

Comments

I think it's time for you to get into band booking business.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Is this still a happening event?

doctorklez

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

We do a gig there every second Friday of the month 8-10. If you’d like to come play, PM me, and/or stop by.

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

We had to cancel this Friday; half my band is unavailable. I’m always looking for players in the area, though. So if you’re, visiting or live in New Orleans, give a shout and we’ll get together.

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15

It's tough to break into the band-booking business pushing gypsy jazz. Unless you own or manage the venue...

That's true. Though what I meant is that @Chiefbigeasy being a NOLA music scene veteran could probably get some of the world class GJ acts to visit the city if he really got down to it. And there would probably be enough interest too. But I also know that he has a day job too so... Then there's the question of logistics for the acts flying overseas since they'd probably want to make it a little tour. In a nutshell it's a full time job.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel