DjangoBooks.com

Original scores

WmTBallardWmTBallard U.K.New
in Repertoire Posts: 30

Hello

I am interested in sourcing original jazz standard scores; with the original harmonies and melodies as the composer intended.

Does such a source exist? I've been idly looking over recent months to no avail.

I would appreciate any guidance and recommendations you may have to offer.

Many thanks

W

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Good luck!

Well, the good news is that the internet now offers tons of online sheet music for sale so you can readily access the original piano sheet music for standard tunes, by just googling the song title.

Related but possibly not exactly what you are looking for... tenor sax genius Lester Young once asked his accompanists not to play fancy chord substitutions but just lay down the “vanilla changes”...

...so here is a website that offers vanilla changes for a whole bunch of jazz standards....

http://www.ralphpatt.com/Song.html

adrian
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • WmTBallardWmTBallard U.K.New

Thanks man, that's very kind of you. I can't why how many of these GJ guys are so way off the mark when it comes to harmony??

• François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy

Hello WmTBallard,

Please don't hesitate to send me a private e-mail to [email protected] precising which tunes you are looking for and I will send you the "original chords" (I have really many of them).

Best

François