DjangoBooks.com

First jam last night

I went to my first Gypsy jam in public last night! And better yet I survived. I've been playing at home for two years or so, and have had people over to jam. This was the first time in a while when I was not the best player in the room.

Great fun!

I had to cheat on a few songs by using irealpro. But I mostly knew the tunes. When I was introduced the organizer said "and Mark on guitar who is more than adequate"! The accordian player beside me said he was never described as more than adequate the first time. Lol

PetrovBucoadrianCraigHensleyrudolfochristJim KaznoskyMichaelHorowitzBonesBillDaCostaWilliamsjuanderer

Comments

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

"More than adequate" - that can be your the title of your first major-label CD ;-)

rudolfochrist
  • Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO

Bravo !!

How did you get jam ready in 2 years - learn the repertoire etc................ any tips ?

• QuadropentaQuadropenta New England USANew

The next step after "more than adequate" is "having thoroughly acceptable execution". Somewhere down the line is a person who you admire [but has never given you a complement] spontaneously saying "yeah!" during your solo.

rudolfochrist

I've been playing guitar for years. And played upright in a band for ten, so I'm not too bothered by performing. But I've only spent the last few years actively working on Gypsy Jazz.

But yeah practising the common tunes. And not being afraid to make mistakes.

Next time I should bring an amp. Apparently I was not very loud.