DjangoBooks.com

New Django pic

PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
in History Posts: 426

Hi I found a new Django pic in a book about the 40s (quite ironic since the picture seems to come from the 50s).

I will try to gather more information and make a better picture of the book but in the meantime if someone recognizes where this cropped pic comes from, please share :)

It is such a nice pic, no?

BillDaCostaWilliamswimJoseBucoMichaelHorowitzBonesrudolfochristspatzoAndyWstuologyand 2 others.

Comments

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso

Very nice one indeed!

why do you think it's a cropped one ?

• stuologystuology New

It's a great close-up - is that some scarring from the fire on the left side of his face/forehead?

This reminds me, I don't think this picture has been posted here yet. It was circulating on facebook a few weeks ago, Patrus found it in a flea market. What I love about this picture is that Django is playing artificial harmonics and given that Joseph is playing F and Hubert Rostaing is also onstage, this is almost certainly Django playing a solo on Nuages.

MichaelHorowitzadrianwimjuandererSvanis1337Bonestacosandbeer
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    edited July 2019 Posts: 426

I dont think it is scarring from the fire, as we dont see it in the other portraits of Django earlier. Could it be just a light effect?

And spatzo, I am not sure it is a cropped one. It just looked like it to me initially, as a first impression. That is why I took the picture by the way. It is only after checking that we realized it is a new one.

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

The suspected scarring looks more like vasculitis to me.

AndyW
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 Posts: 457

Excellent shot! Here's another "new" one, which might as well be an ad for Gauloises cigarettes.

wimMichaelHorowitzBucoPetrovrudolfochristBones

I wonder if that has any connection to his eventual cause of death...

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity

This has not been cropped from any known photo of Django. As I have said elsewhere, the tie and jacket are exactly the same as he wore at the Salon des Vedettes where some of his painting were exhibited in December, 1952. However, the shirt does not appear to be patterned and he is not wearing the odd sweater he is wearing at the Salon. There are several photos of him with this jacket from late 1952 and 1953. I am pretty sure it was taken at that time. The moustache also fits that period.

MichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliams
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭

I went back to the library to check the book but unfortunately there is no more information to share: no photo credits, no mention of Django in the texts that go along with the pictures.

I might try to contact Anne Bony the editor of the book to see if she has any information but I doubt it...