DjangoBooks.com

Best All-Around Studio Amp?

GandyGandy Los AngelesNew Yamaha

Hey guys, looking for quality input here. What is the best all-around studio guitar amp available under the $800-$1000 range? I record a variety of styles, and I'm looking at getting my first decent studio guitar amp for my project studio.

Been reading up on the Peavey Classic 30/112 and Windsor Studio amps: https://youtu.be/pq4mO75vQU0, and they tend to get great reviews: https://waveadvice.com/guitar-amps-under-150/, though most guys change the tubes and speakers eventually to their likings. I'm open to all suggestions, since I'm not a full-blown guitarist and my experience is limited. Thanks...

Comments

• JoseJose Minneapolis New DuPont MD 50

Hi Gandy, I guess it will depend on what kind of music you want to play, I would also suggest to get a lower wattage amp, 10 or 15 Watts are pretty loud! I own a Mesa Mark 5:25, it is very versatile amp, even though is a high gain amp you can go clean or crazy high gain, it is a 25 watt tube amp and it is pretty loud. If you want to get a tube break sound and if you will use it on a studio get a lower wattage amp, I am planning on getting a Supro 5watt amp.

rudolfochrist
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    edited June 2019 Posts: 140

The Quilter 101 Reverb 50 watt is worth exploring. It is is a very light weight head only (~2 lbs) and is capable of producing a wide range of studio volume sounds. Needs to be matched with a speaker cabinet. I am using a Raezer 12 cabinet which sounds great. I use it for gypsy jazz to blues to rock. Takes pedals well and is plenty loud enough for gigs in larger rooms. I have a Peavey Class 30/112 and love the sound when cranked - but IMO it is too loud for a home studio unless you are able to cut down the gain. Kind of heavy to lug around as well. You can easily put the Quilter in a backpack, carry a lightweight speaker cabinet, and go to a gig on a bus if needed.

Used ones go for $200 to $300 on Reverb or eBay. Many videos on YouTube.

I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • husyhusy Seattle✭✭✭

@jose somewhat parallel question: Is it possible to explore the range of tones on the Mark 5:25 in actual bedroom volumes without bleeding through the ears, or are you in fact looking to get the Supro 5W because it isn't? I know this is a topic that's been discussed countless times on other forums, but something tells me your opinion will be more reliable than that of the typical amp forum participant.

• JoseJose Minneapolis New DuPont MD 50

i feel you can somewhat explore at bedroom levels but is limited, I believe a tube amp sounds best when it is cranked up but when you have 100 or 50 Watts of tube power is near impossible, the mark 525 is a 25 watt amp and you can also operate @10 Watts but 10 Watts is still pretty loud even on a live setting when you have a loud drummer, I usually adjust eq according to volume and the room I am playing and yes I do want an amp that won’t bleed my ears, on top of that it is easier to haul around smaller amps, achieve good tone and have happy sound engineers.