DjangoBooks.com

BYO: Maccaferri Concert Model

I am going to start to build a couple of Maccaferri Concert models from the RF Charle plans. I am not going to attempt the resonator this time so I was wondering about whether the heavy cross brace on the soundboard that this attaches to is needed and, if so, whether it can just be a duplicate (in profile) of the brace at the top of the fan bracing.

If any of you has made this model without the resonator I would be interested to hear how you approached this aspect of the build.
Regards
Darren

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited May 2019 Posts: 3,319
    Are you going to build a 12 fret or 14 fret? Short or long scale? are you sticking with the original geometry?
    Hi Bones,
    Original geometry/scale length and 12 fret I think, unless there is a good reason to do otherwise.
    Cheers
    Darren
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Ok if you stick with the original geometry I'd stick with the original bracing. Conversely, I built a 14 fret short scale which puts a lot of distance between the bridge and tailpiece so to support that area of the top I added a 5th brace.
    Hi Bones, Maybe we are talking at crossed purposes but the concert model I am referring to is the nylon strung classical which has a conventional, albeit quite wide, bridge rather than a tailpiece. The brace is very deep and has an angle that the resonator was bonded to so I was wondering if there is any harm in just making it a ‘normal’ brace shape. I’ll have another look at the plans tomorrow and compare it to a traditional classical guitar bracingly see how they compare.
    Regards
    Darren
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Oh my bad, I have no experience with the nylon string guitars. Sorry.

Good morning

Does anyone have any string recommendations for a nylon strung Concert model Sel/Mac?

Regards

Darren

• riccardomordegliariccardomordeglia New mordeglia

I made many concert model guitars. Look at www.mordeglia.com

for the bracing I made some little changes from some old guitars I restored. But the plan y we said work well. Maybe it gives a not so loud volume but depending on the woods and the thickness. You can make your changes but not in classical guitar way that gives a too much mellow sound.

for the strings use hard tension good quality strings

Good morning Riccardo,

Thank you for your comments and your guitars look fantastic. Mine still have some way to go but they are starting to look like guitars now! I am interested to know what changes you made to the bracing and why?

Regards

Darren

Buco

Machined the headstocks today and hope to get them married up to their necks in the near future. The dowel holes are to aid alignment and prevent slippage when gluing up and clamping

• BonesBones Moderator

pretty work!