DjangoBooks.com

Seeking recommendation on archtop good for GJ- Loar maybe ?

Comments

• swiesslerswiessler NorCalNew Dupont MD20,Gibson L5,Bumgarner F hole(DiMauro type)
    Have fun with it! Happy Easter!
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    edited April 2019 Posts: 356
    Larryl has solved his problem (for the moment, anyway), but I thought I'd mention that I have both a Loar LH-600 and an Eastman 805CE, and I like them both, though the Eastman certainly has the more refined sound. But for half the money, the Loar is more than half the guitar. (Just as the Eastman is 90% of, say, an old L7 for about half the money--and I owned a very nice '45 L7 for a few years.)

As to the suitability of either model for gypsy-swing rhythm, that's going to vary with the individual guitar and the player's preferences and chops.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    I don't know what guitar Molly Reeves is playing in this video of Shine, but it sure sounds nice. I suspect that whatever kind of guitar she uses would sound good.
    BillDaCostaWilliamsChrisMartin
  • larryllarryl New
    edited April 2019 Posts: 35
    Thanks for all of the suggestions...I just purchased an Eastman AR610 used that seemed like a deal I just couldnt pass up...haha. Anyway, I am excited about getting both guitars this next week...will probably have to find a dog house to live in ! :) BTW, I loved that video of Shine...what a great sound from all of them ! I too am curious as to what guitar she is playing...like you said, she could make any of them sound great...nice video...thanks for posting it.
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Great, now you have that too it is time to check out some great archtop rhythm playing from the one and only Dave Kelbie, here playing with Tchha and Mozes;
  • larryllarryl New
    wow...great rhythm guitar and great playing by all in the group...thanks for posting that...I had not seen this video !
  • larryllarryl New
    We just added a clarinet player to a quartet I play in...I love the clarinet...here is what I am hoping we can do !

• larryllarryl New
    jonpowl wrote: »
    I don't know what guitar Molly Reeves is playing in this video of Shine, but it sure sounds nice. I suspect that whatever kind of guitar she uses would sound good.

I wrote to Molly and she told me she is playing a 1940s Gibson L48...she said the top was refinished...they are not usually blond.
    Jim Kaznosky
  • larryllarryl New
    Got the 60s Kay over the weekend and the action is too high for me...nice guitar but my old hands cant handle it...getting the Eastman tomorrow and am hoping its not the same ! I guess my expectations were not reasonable about the Kay...not sure if it can be lowered it or not, but the shop did set it up before it left...lesson learned I guess.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Check their return policy, send it back if you can.