DjangoBooks.com

Internal pickup mount and drilling the tailblock

I'm thinking about getting Jokko's contact mic. But I want to mount it inside the body.
Only, the thought of drilling through the tailblock bothers me.
Are there any real concerns about doing that?
Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Comments

• JoseJose Minneapolis New DuPont MD 50
    edited April 2019 Posts: 49
    I guess only a luthier can answer this question but people also install strap button on the outside? Perhaps it would not affect the integrity of the guitar but I totally get it, it bothers me to drill or do any mod on my guitars so I just don’t do it.
    Buco
    Yeah, I don't think I like the idea of putting that big of a hole through the tailpiece. Maybe on the side, just next to the tailblock. Maybe just a whole big enough to route the cable out and mount the jack outside. Maybe small hole through the top where the tailpiece is bending over and again mount the jack outside. But I don't like the look of seeing the jack outside either. Maybe mount the mic pickup inside and leave the jack inside. But then it would be rattling around and would have to fish for it every time I wanna use it.
    I don't know...just brainstorming...
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    @Buco - I thought you were crazy with your soundport. This should be a piece of cake.
    Buco
    I'd guess you're not alone.
  • flacoflaco Shelley Park #151, AJL Quiet and Portable
    I've thought it would be neat to adapt something like the Tapastring vintage jack but for a selmer-style tailpiece. I haven't seen a streamlined female 1/8" jack like that for sale anywhere though.
    Buco
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I did that to install a K&K once. Drilling the endpin hole to 1/2 inch. Directly through the tail piece and the tail block.

No issues, no surprises, it all worked fine. And it was good to have the jack in the tail-block, because it was sturdy (allowed even use the jack doubled as strap pin).

7vk8vvslh1sb.jpg
    Buco
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 4,732
    @flaco Yeah 1/8" mini female jack, flush panel mount, is another thing I was thinking about doing.
    I had that on the K&K pickup I had back in the day, though this was the outside mount with the jack resting on the tailpiece. Then I made a cable that had 1/8 on one side and 1/4 on the other.
    But if I do that this time, then I'd just make a short adapter; 1/8" male to 1/4" female so I can use standard cables I already have.
    I haven't heard of Tapastring. Those endpin jacks are awesome for flattop guitars.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 4,732
    @Wim Glenn just the thought of that size, 1/2" makes me cringe (I know, says the guy who went to town with that soundport). Maybe... I already have a good quality jack that's meant to double as strap pin.
    If I went that route I'd probably do as I mentioned above, 1/8" flush mounted jack, and use a short adapter cable.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,455
    found more pics.
    drill the tailpiece separately from the lower bout.
    use masking tape to prevent the sides (which are usually laminate) from splitting up.
    don't worry about 1/2".. there is a much bigger hole in the top. :)

0io5qp325r03.jpg

ghiq40hc49lc.jpg

ow3nhnuzvfyv.jpg

tdg19z30bdbw.jpg

ua8l2rwhr3ul.jpg

8snkz7ueg97y.jpg

h3monq50gsda.jpg

3gt3gjk7fr6m.jpg

BucoLango-Django
    Haha you're right about the bigger hole on the top. Yup that's the same type jack I have. I haven't seen yet what Jokko includes for the inside mount kit.