DjangoBooks.com

Notre Dame

Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
in History Posts: 1,252
If you haven't heard, Notre Dame Cathedral just survived a massive fire. Some historical relics survived, but it is unclear the extent of the damage at this point.

This is a very significant piece of culture and history, particularly to the French, so if you have French friends - maybe take a moment to think of them.
You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
BucoMichaelHorowitzScoredogJosechiky

Comments

• michaelbmichaelb New
    Such a sad event. Faith aside, I believe the cathedral was built in the 1200’s making it a French treasure. Thoughts and prayers go out for our French brothers and sisters.
    Josechiky
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Notre Dame is one of the wonders of the world and we can at least be thankful that the courageous firefighters were able to save it from complete destruction. #parisstrong
    Josechiky
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    edited April 2019 Posts: 462
    'Forgive us our trespasses'

Josechikyvanmalmsteen
    Thank you for your thoughts. This is very sad, but by chance there are no victims. The building has been seriously injured, but it will be rebuilt and Notre Dame will be even more beautiful in a few years. It's not the first our country has to face such an event
    Josechiky
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    The closest I can get for a vintage jazz connection to the cathedral is a Charlie Parker composition over the changes for "Embracable you"
    I wonder -would this work as a pure gypsy-jazz tune ??
    Here's the estimable Ralph Moore on tenor with the Ray Brown trio on "Quasimodo" ;-)
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    In fact I can think of a link between gypsy jazz and Notre Dame de Paris :
    It is Eugène VEES in the 1956 version (with Anthony Quinn ad Gina Lollobrigida) playing 'guitar' in the danse of Esmeralda (see :
    Eugène appeared also in the movie 'Paris Blues' and in a movie with Charles Trénet which I cannot remember the title presently.
    Best
    François
    AndyWMichaelHorowitz
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,257
    Eugène appeared also in a movie with Charles Trénet which I cannot remember the title presently.
    Best
    François

Was it "Le Romance de Paris"?

MichaelHorowitz
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Thanks Roger,
    Your memory is always as precise as usual.
    Best
    François