DjangoBooks.com

Top tips.

NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 462
From our very own AndyW
'Playing by ear is a skill !'
Good to know if, like me, you need to make up for a lack of talent with hard work.

You guys ?

D.
michaelb

Comments

• michaelbmichaelb New
    edited March 2019 Posts: 3

“Nobody gives a $%#* if you can solo”

as told to me by Tonk Edwards one of the greatest jazz guitarists I’ve ever known. Tonk played with Sarah Vaughan and Carmen McRae (as well as with Bill Evans, Chet, etc) for years. Beautiful player (soloist included) and person. It was a tongue in cheek way of saying never forget that the role of a guitarist is to comp and hold down the rhythm. I’ve never forgotten it and am reminded often to keep up my rhythm chops and chording practice. We all want to be great soloists, but don’t spend enough practice time comping to make other soloist sound good.
    NylonDaveBillDaCostaWilliams
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    Me? LoL - the only advice *I* can give is "the more you learn, the less you know" :-)
    BonesmichaelbNylonDave
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited March 2019 Posts: 1,855
    I like all these thoughts.

Just playing the melody with occasional cool variations is real nice.

I’ve given up on trying to out-django Django... ain’t gonna happen!
    vanmalmsteenmichaelbNylonDaveBonesDeuxDoigts_Tonnerre
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Lango Djabgo - I can't even django Django never mind out-django him.
    NylonDaveAndrewUlleBonesDeuxDoigts_Tonnerre
    always learning
  • "Play the song" - every non-GJ jazz musician.
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    “Free bird”
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Strange you should disavow the most helpful thing I ever heard you say Andy. But yes donkeys do indeed live a long time.

D.
    Not sure to understand what this conversation is about :/
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    Not sure to understand what this conversation is about :/

Me neither, and he's talking about me... :#