DjangoBooks.com

Anyone have a Dupont Vieille Reserve and/or Barault to try near Madison, WI?

13»

Comments

Yes it's truly an outlier guitar. Wim is a great player.
    t-bird
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • crothcroth ✭✭
    I have to give you guys credit if you have the time, patience, the aural memory, and the ability to be that discriminating to first of all find the guitars near you that you want to try out, travel to get to them, and then compare them in your mind after playing them in different locations and times, especially when they're not in the same acoustic room and same climate environment. I can see geese's point about doing it for the fun of it, but to really be able to choose that way? I have to admire that. I'll have to stick with my impulsive self... :-)
    MichaelHorowitzt-bird
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100
    @geese_com
    I've read in a different thread that you finally made the decision and bought a Barault instead of a Dupont VR.

May I ask you if you'd had the chance to try a Dupont VR? If yes what were the reasons to buy the Barault.

Currently, I'm also facing the same decision. I own a MD-100 already, which is an amazing instrument. A very clean, crisp, dry and loud sound. I tried a MD-50E when I bought the MD-100 which was absolutely disappointing. Very dull sounding. Surprisingly, perhaps it was incorrectly set up or perhaps damaged. I don't know. I also had the chance to play on a MD-60 which was OK, but didn't do it for me. At least not in the same way the MD-100 caught me from the very first chord.

This makes me almost to tend to a Barault, but I also hadn't had the chance to try either one. I'm in Europe, so it is somewhat easier to drive to Barault's and Dupont's workshops. Perhaps I'll do this during summer, but I would really like to hear your experience.

Thanks in advance.

-Sebastian
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    @geese_com
    I've read in a different thread that you finally made the decision and bought a Barault instead of a Dupont VR.

May I ask you if you'd had the chance to try a Dupont VR? If yes what were the reasons to buy the Barault.

Currently, I'm also facing the same decision. I own a MD-100 already, which is an amazing instrument. A very clean, crisp, dry and loud sound. I tried a MD-50E when I bought the MD-100 which was absolutely disappointing. Very dull sounding. Surprisingly, perhaps it was incorrectly set up or perhaps damaged. I don't know. I also had the chance to play on a MD-60 which was OK, but didn't do it for me. At least not in the same way the MD-100 caught me from the very first chord.

This makes me almost to tend to a Barault, but I also hadn't had the chance to try either one. I'm in Europe, so it is somewhat easier to drive to Barault's and Dupont's workshops. Perhaps I'll do this during summer, but I would really like to hear your experience.

Thanks in advance.

-Sebastian

Unfortunately, I have not played a Dupont VR, so I cannot comment on how it compared to other guitars. Someone approached me with a pretty good deal on the Barault, so I took them up on it despite never having played one.

Since you are in Europe, it might be worth the trip to check the different guitars out. I am not able to do that here in the US so sometimes I have to take a risk.
  • stuologystuology New
    Unless you can play the specific model you want, buying a luthier-made guitar is always a leap of faith. They are not factory-made, so each build is unique. Going to DiJ is a good suggestion as there are always guitars for sale and good deals to be done.

I'm sorry to hear that the Caravan shop has closed, I only visited it once a couple of years ago and it was a unique place.
  • pdgpdg ✭✭
    Even factory-made guitars of a specific model are are all unique in sound, if not in looks.
  • pdg wrote: »
    Even factory-made guitars of a specific model are are all unique in sound, if not in looks.
    And build quality.
    @geese_com it's awesome that it worked out for you and the sound you heard in your head matched up with the guitar you got, good for you. Sounds like that Barault found it's true owner.
    geese_com
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel