DjangoBooks.com

Slim neck on GJ guitar ?

I played an Eastman GJ guitar this weekend and to me the neck was too chunky for my hands. I am just curious if all of these style guitars have larger necks. The width of a neck is not an issue with me as I play classical guitar but the depth is an issue. I have a Taylor Academy Nylon string and it feels fine...most of my electric guitar also have slim necks...Washburn J, Gretsch CG, Benedetto Bambino, Ibanez 1970s L5 copy...I am just trying to to make the terms "slim" and "chunky" relevant as to how I define them for my hands. Rather vague and subjective probably, but any advise would be appreciated. I know the best thing is to try them out in person, but as you know you cant just walk into any store and expect to find one to try out. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    There is a lot of variation in neck sizes and depth based on the guitars that I have had.

I think the "chunky" necks that some of the GJ guitars have are because they are based on Selmer neck sizes (but I might be wrong on that). The Stringphonic Advanced, Barault, and Dell Arte Dark Eyes guitars I've owned all have deeper necks. Those three guitars (at least the Stringphonic and Barault) are based heavily on the specs of Django's 503 Selmer.

I have also owned a Dupont Nomade, Altamira M10, Altamira, M01F, and AJL 503 X0 and those guitars had necks that were not as deep.

If anyone is familiar with Gibson 59 reissue necks, I would say that the Selmer sized necks are more R8 size whereas the necks that are not as deep are more like R0's.
    McQ
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah I think they are based on the old SelMacs.
    There's been some discussion on the neck profiles, maybe you'll find something helpful here:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/15500/what-neck-profile-does-your-guitar-have/p1
    But bottom line I think it's about getting used to it, it took me awhile to get used to GJ neck coming from electric and flat-top guitars. Of course sometimes people just don't want to spend time making friends with new and unfamiliar. Which is fine too, that's why there's range of shapes to pick from.
    I think Eastman went with "flat D" profile which, as geese said, is based on original Selmers.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • larryllarryl New
    Thanks guys for the input...I think I am going to write down some notes and hopefully some day make it to a store and try some out to see what works for me...maybe this summer I will find some shops that carry several different brands to compare side by side.
    Thanks again.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited March 2019 Posts: 705
    My inexpensive Cigano has a thin neck (depth) and offers good value for the price. Of course some Ciganos are better than others and all should be played before buying.

wim
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Neck profile can be made smaller by a competent luthier even on a finished guitar if you don't mind modifications. Scale length is a different matter speaking of neck geometry/comfort.