DjangoBooks.com

Which Guitars are Most Stable With Humidity Changes?

Just curious about people's experiences with GJ guitars and humidity changes. Which guitars seem to be the most stable, in terms of action and feel, despite changes in humididy (due to weather, heating, air conditioning, etc.)?
Are high-end guitars more fussy, changing all the time? Are entry-level guitars more stable (built heavier)? Or are some makers just better at reducing the tendency of their guitars to change shape with humidity changes?
Do some guitars seem always to feel and sound the same, while other guitars feel and sound different every time you pick them up? Do some guitars require shimming and de-shimming frequently (even in the middle of a gig), or truss rod adjustment, while others are as stable as, say, a Martin flattop?

Comments

• My AJL is super stable and I wonder if the torrification process has a lot to do with it. Additionally, my Bumgarner is a tank. I've adjusted the bridge maybe a half dozen times in four years to get it intoned, but have never had to shim it. My guess is that it was built in the same general climate where I live (East Coast) and that the wood simply doesn't have to move much. My buddy's Barault does not like sudden adjustments to temperature and humidity and the top moves constantly. His Dupont MDC60 doesn't move one bit, on the other hand.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    It helps if the wood in the inside of the body is sealed.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    My Rodrigo Shopis never seems to have issues with humidity. I do keep an Oasis humidifier in the case in our Nova Scotia winter, but there has never been a need to shim it at all. It does not have a truss rod, rather it has carbon inserts in the neck which seem to keep it solid as a rock.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    With my guitar it's really the difference in tone that I notice with humidity changes, not so much that the wood moves.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator
    The most obvious symptom is they go sharp or flat really quickly.
    JoseBuco
    You're right @Bones when I pick up my guitar, if it's still in tune then I know it's properly humidified.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar
    It's like asking what kind of wood doesn't suffer from humidity changes.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah good point and one I can't answer. Again, I think it's just best to seal the inside as well as the outside to limit how much humidity gets absorbed by the wood (or goes out of the wood). Wood changes dimension a lot depending on moisture content and I'm sure different types of wood respond differently to some extent. Even different pieces of the same type of wood I would think.
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Answer = Telecaster.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • 100% correct