DjangoBooks.com

Odd Club Copenhagen

Hello everybody

Our GJ band Gypsy Vendetta from Denmark just released our first album titled "Odd Club Copenhagen".
But it's really hard getting it out there.

Would you care to take a listen and give some feedback?

And I am also curious - what do you do to get your music out to the people?
Where do you do an extra effort to promote it?

The album consists of 12 original compositions.
It's on most streaming services, or you can follow this link to streaming:
https://gypsyvendetta.lnk.to/OddClubCopenhagen
Scoredog

Comments

• edited February 2019 Posts: 4,723
    It's great! I'm still listening and don't have a lot of time to write but what immediately stood out is you masterfully blended traditional and modern sound in a way that's interesting and listenable. I don't want this to come out the wrong way but interesting isn't always something I'd play again. Your album I'm pretty sure I'll play for some time.
    You're all first class musicians.

AndyNylon
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Yeah Buco. Thanks so much for the feedback :-)
    It still blows my mind how many highly skilled musicians that the world has "never heard of", but it needs to, are playing this music.
    So the first best thing to promote your band and your music was to let yourself known to what is I assume the most visited gypsy jazz forum globally. What took you so long?

You can look at the examples of people, outside of top Gypsy players and Parisian elite (and I don't even know how many of them make a truly good living playing this music), and take pages from their book in how they market themselves. The two that come to mind are Robin Nolan and Dario Napoli. Say what you want about Robin but he's working his ass off. And Dario does an excellent job making himself known to the GJ audience.

Bottom line is you need to hustle and it takes hours every day to make it work. A friend said that Michael Joseph Harris of Hot Club of Baltimore told him that he's splitting time 50/50 between practice and marketing every day.

By the way I love the humor in your song titles.
    AndyNylon
    GREAT stuff. Very musical and very listenable. Clever song titles! Best $9 I’ve spent lately.
    AndyNylon
  • I get your point Buco. But actually I’m not talking about making a living, just getting your music out and getting people to listen to it.

@humphrymusic thanks so much. And also glad you like the titles. Always a weird thing to name instrumental songs :-)
    AndyNylon wrote: »
    I get your point Buco. But actually I’m not talking about making a living, just getting your music out and getting people to listen to it

Same difference, as they say. It's about making people aware your stuff is out there. That's what Michael from Hot Club of Baltimore is doing, spreading the word and creating interest.
  • That’s true. Still not an easy task when you don’t know where to start
    You did start, you put it here. I'm gonna mention you guys to the people I know who play this music but aren't on the forum. I'm not much active on FB myself, I too can learn from Michael, but will do a FB page share today.
    AndyNylon
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited February 2019 Posts: 393
    Ah, now I get it, I believe!? It's Hot Club, said in French, with a Danish accent, Odd Club, isn't it? Listening to it now. Fedt godt!
    BucoAndyNylon