DjangoBooks.com

Switching out aTailpiece Insert

Hi folks,

So I decided to pimp out my DG-255 with a Galalith tailpiece insert. Pardon my ignorance (I have plenty), but do I have to remove the tailpiece from the guitar to switch out inserts? Initial attempts seem to indicate so. The insert seems to be really tightly, um, inserted. I may have even started bending the tailpiece where it comes around the body, so I stopped what I was doing.

It may be obvious, but i thought I should check to see if there was maybe a not-so-obvious method available for this.

In my experience, the more parts I have to remove to do something, the greater are the chances I'll regret trying it at all!

Thanks for any help with this!

Dave

Comments

• edited February 2019 Posts: 4,730
    The insert could be glued. On my tailpiece, it doesn't have any channels where the insert slides in, it's just glued in, I found out when my daughter knocked it out. You could try to heat it up with a hair blow dryer to remove it, be careful with the guitar finish. You shouldn't have to remove the tailpiece unless it becomes stubborn but it's no big deal, 3 small screws. Just be careful not to strip the screws.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I'd definitely remove the tailpiece before changing the insert, it's too easy to damage the top of the guitar with a slip of whatever tools you use. I recently changed the tailpiece insert on my Maruejouls guitar and it was an extremely tight fit, there was no way to change it without removing the tailpiece. Here it is.
    guitarnowski
    always learning
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Where diid you get your Galalith insert from? I've never seen one for sale.
    always learning
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Generally most inserts have a tight slot each side that slide onto the metal but surely they are not all exactly the same size so one size insert fits all? I would expect it to either be a loose rattly fit, or otherwise too tight and needing either the slots cut deeper or the metal flanges filed back and both options sound like a precision job. So why bother changing, or if necessary why not change the tailpiece complete?
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    I'd definitely remove the tailpiece before changing the insert, it's too easy to damage the top of the guitar with a slip of whatever tools you use. I recently changed the tailpiece insert on my Maruejouls guitar and it was an extremely tight fit, there was no way to change it without removing the tailpiece. Here it is.
    You mentioned that recently and said you were impressed by the work, but further to my post above (does one size fit all?) how did you get it to fit?
    Did you send him the tailpiece? Or the old insert? I mean he would have needed to know the exact dimensions or was it just luck, or I am wrong in thinking they are not a standard size?
    The guy simply sent the brass insert and I had to carve out a similar shape from an existing insert then glue it in, fill in any small gaps and then sand the whole thing.
    always learning
  • guitarnowskiguitarnowski Peru, ILNew Gitane, etc., etc.,
    edited February 2019 Posts: 37
    Where diid you get your Galalith insert from? I've never seen one for sale.

I was just looking around for inserts and this popped up.

Generally most inserts have a tight slot each side that slide onto the metal but surely they are not all exactly the same size so one size insert fits all? I would expect it to either be a loose rattly fit, or otherwise too tight and needing either the slots cut deeper or the metal flanges filed back and both options sound like a precision job. So why bother changing, or if necessary why not change the tailpiece complete?

Well, I am here hoping for the best! lol It's purported to be the proper size for a Saga/Gitane, and I was just hoping not to have to change the whole thing, since this one works really well and the fewer parts I change will tempt fate that much less, though there are some really nice ones out there.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 37
    Buco wrote: »
    The insert could be glued. On my tailpiece, it doesn't have any channels where the insert slides in, it's just glued in, I found out when my daughter knocked it out. You could try to heat it up with a hair blow dryer to remove it, be careful with the guitar finish. You shouldn't have to remove the tailpiece unless it becomes stubborn but it's no big deal, 3 small screws. Just be careful not to strip the screws.

Oops! haha.. kids...
    So, mine does have channels I can see. Also, it's probably not a huge deal to remove the tailpiece, though mine has two screws and is also attached at the endpin jack.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Definitely remove it. Don't work over the guitar top.