DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

LFriedman Tonda Maléř Archtop'38

Pimping my Maruejouls and Rhythm Chief mount.

crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Anastasio, Godefroy Maruejouls
Having got my new to me Maruejouls I decided to change a couple of things and put a mount for the Rhythm Chief pickup. The original bracket which came with the pickup meant the pickup didn't sit well under the strings. When I tried to bend it for a better fit it just snapped. It looked like brass but it turned out to be a brittle cast metal.

Anyway, I changed the tuners for Schaller Selmer classics, the Maruejouls had Rubners installed but originally had Selmer style tuners judging by the existing holes beneath the Rubners.

I changed the wood tailpiece insert for another one which has a brass inlay of Djangos face, taken from the famous photo of Django with an archtop and smoking a cigarette.

Lastly I fashioned a mounting bracket from brass rod and, carefully, fitted it to the fingerboard. This means I no longer have to use blu tac/magic putty to mount the pickup.
gt4dh6a4i29o.jpg
always learning
AndyWBuco

Comments

Nice work, loving the tailpiece insert!
    Andrew Ulle
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Anastasio, Godefroy Maruejouls
    edited February 1 Posts: 708
    hows it sound?

If you mean acousticalky the guitar apparently sounds quite bright from a listeners point of view - maybe that should be point of hearing. From a players position it sounds quite well balanced to me with, I think, a strong bass. If you drive it hard you get a really dry bark and played softly it gives a mellow sound.

If you mean with the Rhythm Chief, as I said before it's a very "electric Django" sound depending on how the amp is setup. Again if you hit hard you can drive a bit more distortion into the sound. The string balance on the Rhythm Chief is not perfect with b string being slightly, but only just, hotter. However bearing that in mind it's easy to adjust picking to accomodate that. I've had a couple of Stimers and the string balance on those made them unplayable as far as I was concerned, the Rhythm Chief is a vast improvement. I might try the 1100 - the one with the adjustable pole pieces.

I might try and do some videos later.
    always learning
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Anastasio, Godefroy Maruejouls
    edited February 1 Posts: 708
    Buco wrote: »
    Nice work, loving the tailpiece insert!

Thanks Buco. It was made by a guy in Ireland who was offering a brass Hendrix face on ebay. I asked him if could do a Django one and he said yes. I sent him the photo of Django with the archtop and smoking a ciggie and the insert arrived about a week later. He must have had some kind of very fine laser cutter as the insert was so finely cut and detailed. All I had to do was to cut out a corresponding shape from a wooden tailpiece insert, glue the face in and then sand it all back and, finally, polish it up.
    I thought about getting another couple for other tailpieces but the supplier disappered from ebay and didn't answer subsequent emails.

I've attached the photo I sent him and I think the brass insert is just like it.
    Buco
    always learning