DjangoBooks.com

What chord voicings do you like to use when playing rhythm over Vendredi 13?

SDNWSDNW New
edited January 2019 in Welcome Posts: 13
Lately, I've really been having a blast playing along with this song, particularly the versions by the Rosenberg Trio which are blazing fast. There's just something so satisfying about the rapid, relentless chord changes in the left-hand combined with the very fast tempo. That all being said, I am curious what kind of chord voicings other people use when accompanying this song. I've found it's a somewhat rare standard, so I don't have a lot people I can steal ideas from.

For the D minor section, I've always done this progression (xx3231) (xx2020) (xx3231) (xx5333) (xx3231) (xx2020) (xx3231) then loop. I use standard dominant 7th or 9th chords for the followup section D7>G7>C7>Bb7>A7. For the G minor section I use (3x23xx) (5x45xx) (65x7xx) (8x78xx) (65x7xx) (5x45xx) (3x23xx) [and then either (5x45xx) again or (2x12xx) before looping). Standard dominat 7th or 9th chords for the followup section as well G7>C7>F7>Eb7>D7.

I find these voicings mostly suffice, but I'm always looking for different chords I can use on occasion to keep things fresh. I would really like to know what chord voicings you guys use, particularly for the G minor section. Feel free to share!

Here's a really great version of the song if you wanna play along and cramp up your wrist:

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    For comping I kinda cheat and do:
    x
    x

x
    x

x
    x

x
    x

The third chord has a b5 which isn't really correct but it goes by so fast you don't really notice. If u r a stickler you can do the 3rd chord as below (Dm/F) but then you need to change the shape for just that one chord. Otherwise the left hand stays the same for all the chords which is super easy at fast tempos.

x
    x
    SDNW
  • SDNWSDNW New
    edited January 2019 Posts: 13
    Interesting, thanks for the ideas. I'll have to look into this and examine the notes.

It's funny, I don't have any trouble keeping up with the chord changes in the left hand for the most part. The chord changes are actually what makes it feel so satisfying and fun for me to play. The part I struggle with is the right hand. I can really start to feel it in my wrist by the end of the G minor section, and it's almost totally cramped/shot by the final few bars towards the end. I don't know how Nousch'e does it; he's a machine! It's a really great song to practice your motor skills though.